water tube length for a 1965 RXEL-13 33HP

pdaly28

Seaman Apprentice
Hi folks,I have a 1965 33 HP RXEL13 that I just got fired up.I didn't notice ony water from the weep holes and since this motor had been in storage for years I changed the impeller.I noticed that the water tube was rather long and didn't apear to be a factory one.The tube on my 69 40 HP is only 8"long and has a sleight s bend in it.Shiold this 33 HP be the same?I also noticed a sm hole drilled(factory)in the w/p housing.should the water tube be pinned in place?Again,looking foward to your help...Again!:D

kfa4303

Banned
Re: water tube length for a 1965 RXEL-13 33HP

Hi pdaly28. I used to have a '66 RXE-14D 33 HP just like your motor. Mine had the standard "S-curve" copper water uptake tube you described. I think it might have been a bit longer than 8" though. The "L" in your model number signifies that the motor is/was a longshaft motor as it left the factory. However, they can be easily converted to short shaft and back again by swapping out the driveshaft, shift rod linkage, exhaust housing extension, and the copper water uptake tube you mentioned. Perhaps you have a shortshaft water uptake tube on your long shaft motor. One end of the tube should seat into a grommet on the underside of the power head, while the other end seats into a grommet on the top of the water pump housing. It's not uncommon for one, or both ends to become unseated when servicing the LU. I usually install in in the power head first, then guide the other end on to the top of the water pump housing. As for the waterpump housing itself, there should be a small, factory hole drilled into the top of it. The housing should also sit flush on its base plate when properly installed. The impeller in held in place with a small woodruff key. Without it, the driveshaft can spin, but the water pump will not engage. Here's a link to a parts list and exploded diagrams for your motor, as well as some great links that can walk you through an all around tune up as well as some pics of my old motor running in its barrel and pumping water as an example of what to expect. Holler if you get stuck.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.cfm

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/380576/38057600001.htm

104.jpg

103.jpg

112.jpg

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Hi folks,I have a 1965 33 HP RXEL13 that I just got fired up.I didn't notice ony water from the weep holes and since this motor had been in storage for years I changed the impeller.I noticed that the water tube was rather long and didn't apear to be a factory one.The tube on my 69 40 HP is only 8"long and has a sleight s bend in it.Shiold this 33 HP be the same?I also noticed a sm hole drilled(factory)in the w/p housing.should the water tube be pinned in place?Again,looking foward to your help...Again!:D

You cannot compare your 33hp with a 40 hp. It is entirely different in that area. The 33hp water tube is affixed in the top of the exhaust housing and does not come out without real determination on your part. Length?? Long enough to insert in the pump housing grommet. No it is not pinned in there. That hole goes through and the inner end fills the cavity around the drive shaft with water so it doesn't suck air down through the shaft hole.

pdaly28

Seaman Apprentice

You cannot compare your 33hp with a 40 hp. It is entirely different in that area. The 33hp water tube is affixed in the top of the exhaust housing and does not come out without real determination on your part. Length?? Long enough to insert in the pump housing grommet. No it is not pinned in there. That hole goes through and the inner end fills the cavity around the drive shaft with water so it doesn't suck air down through the shaft hole.

Thanks for the speedy awnser folks!You've bailed me out of trouble again!:)