Starcraft SS transom repair....time for some Q&A

dropout454

Cadet
Hey everybody, hope you guys are having a productive winter!

Think I'm in a bit of bind. My transom is weak from rot. Boat is a 16ft SS. I've know the transom needed work for awhile but been getting by so eh...but now it's time for some attention. Need yalls opinion on some options. Please keep in mind that the transom is not fully gone yet just starting to go....

First off thanks for feedback I got in the past. Folks like EZ are lifesavers! I've been told to do it myself and put the effort in...that it's not that complicated. Problem is I don't have the correct tools( rivet guns, cutters, hoist etc) to just dig in and go. Also my help is limited ( basically just me).. Can't afford to put 2 grand into the transom for a professional redo. Sooooo yeaaahhhh....i feel screwed. I've read about some stabilizers that help but haven't read anyone who actually used them....most folks just replace. Read about liquids that pour in around transom wood and expand and harden then you put a stainless beam across the top....anybody know anything about this??

I just figure with all the aluminum boats out there, there has got to be a way to safely reinforce my transom without spending 2 grand or getting another boat.

Thanks guys, any and all feedback is appreciated. PICTURES WILL FOLLOW SOON!!!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Starcraft SS transom repair....time for some Q&A

Transoms R&Rs are one of the easiest jobs you can do. As far as tools needed - you don't need much. A drill and saw are the only power tools needed. A hoist of some sort is nice but you don't need one. One of the guys here lag bolted a piece of wood to the inside of the transom wood and beat up on it. Not too long on the lags, just enough to bite into the wood.

Look at some of the resto threads for ideas. You mentioned the pour in goop - It's thinned resin and is supposed to soak into the wood. Kind of iffy if the wood isn't dry. It's been pretty much determined by the pros here that it doesn't work. And for the cost of it you can more than do the transom and it is guaranteed to work.

When you get some pics up ideas will flood in here. The Mob won't let you down and help you out, dropout. Oh one question, is the SS an outboard?

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer

A drill, saw, garage rafter, screw driver, a couple sockets, and a dock line. It takes longer for the epoxy to dry then it does to remove and reinstall the transom

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yuuup, very easy to do, simple tools, You won't need to rivet any thing, just muscle it out, and start on the new one. It would take you longer and more effort to even attempt to reinforce what is there.

You CAN do it!!

T

dropout454

Cadet

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Yeah the engine is an ob...70 hp Nissan...214lbs.
I'm confident about getting the old one out and fitting the new plywood...it's putting everything back together that's got me spooked. Wouldn't I have to put in new rivets?? Weld spots where I cut the metal?? How about fittin a new piece of metal over the top to cover the it??

Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Yeah the engine is an ob...70 hp Nissan...214lbs.
I'm confident about getting the old one out and fitting the new plywood...it's putting everything back together that's got me spooked. Wouldn't I have to put in new rivets?? Weld spots where I cut the metal?? How about fittin a new piece of metal over the top to cover the it??

Thanks

No metal cutting except possibly under the transom corner caps. The transom itself is only held in by large screws & nuts. No rivets except to hold the corner caps. And the metal over the top edge can be formed using some extruded stuff from any of the Big Box stores. Pics will help us a lot.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

A $20 block and tackle from Harbor Freight will have your motor off in a jiffy. Just hang it from something sturdy overhead. You can see mine hanging in the back here http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2257.jpg The hardest part of an SC transom job is getting the old swollen wood to pop out. Prying up on it from the inside with a 2x4 seems to work well.