mercury outboard controls

73mfggypsy

Cadet
i have a 1974 85Hp mercury outboard currently on my boat... The motor runs great. But my local lake has a 20 hp limit. So i was looking at a early 1990's mercury 20 hp motor. my question is will the controls on my 85 hp mercury work on 20 hp motor... Both are mercury motors is there a differance in the controls.

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: mercury outboard controls

going from an 85 to a 20..wow..I would get a whole other boat, like a light weight 14-16 alum boat. that 20 is probably not going to be able to get your current boat on a plane. and will not preform well. you could always repaint the cowl and put a 20HP sticker on it...LOL..just joking. so what boat do you have? I am not familiar with controls for a motor that old..but you should be able to look at the hook ups and tell, if the wire harness is the same and the cable connections are the same ..it should work...

73mfggypsy

Cadet

I have a 73 mfg gypsy tri_hull. I know its a big down grade. But they have a HP. Limit on the local lake. I really don't like going to the river so going to the local lake is ideal for me to go fishing. I realize that I wing have the speed that I have right now with the 85 HP. But I just want to go fishing. And I still have the bigger motor for when I go to the shore to go crabbing.

SparkieBoat

Captain

why not spend a few hundred bucks on a 14 alum boat, for a 15 or 20HP motor? keep the 85 on your tri hull? a 20 is not just going to be slower than the 85 it is going to be ridiculously slow on a heavy tri hull. but again..look at the harness and control hook ups to see if the 20 will work with your current controls.