Is a 2000 Cobalt 272 bowrider good for the Gulf of Mexico?

Black Pearl94

Recruit
I'm new to the ocean boating world and would like some opinions on if using a 27' Cobalt bowrider with a single engine about 1 to 3 miles from shore on the Gulf of Mexico off the Florida coast is a good idea?

Thanks for any help!

Black Pearl94

Slow Ride

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Is a 2000 Cobalt 272 bowrider good for the Gulf of Mexico?

1 to 3 miles is hardly "ocean boating." The bow of your boat is not very tall and therefore you may take a few waves over the bow, even on a good day. However, if you pick your days you should be able to do 1 to 3 miles with little problem. I have been further in smaller boats but they were desiged for rough water. Just be careful and don't take any chances out there.

tpenfield

Staff member

I'm new to the ocean boating world and would like some opinions on if using a 27' Cobalt bowrider with a single engine about 1 to 3 miles from shore on the Gulf of Mexico off the Florida coast is a good idea?

Thanks for any help!

Black Pearl94

What could possibly go wrong??? ;)

A particular boat is more geared to the type of boating and the conditions, rather than any particular body of water. Bowriders in general are less preferable in high wave or chop conditions, but some folks do it. I generally refer to bowriders as 'lake' boats, but that is just me.

The problems that you encounter with ocean boating is related to 'fetch' and the distance that wave action has to develop as wind/weather conditions change throughout the day. Lakes generally have less fetch, but bodies like the Great Lakes are basically fresh water oceans, and they can get some awesome waves.

If you are concerned about being far from shore with a single engine, then maybe something with twin engines might be a better choice, but the $$$$ go up.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

no. you are in too close and might run aground.

I'm kidding, but seriously, you have a 27' boat. Properly operated it will survive about anything you might get caught in, assuming you start out in fair weather. The more important factor IN THESE CIRCUMSTANCES is how far you are from running back to shelter. You question implies you will stay close to home; you did not ask about crossing the Gulf, and that would be a no-no for you in that hull. If you plan a long-distance run, say an overnight destination cruise, get some help from locals as to route and weather. Isn't that why you got a boat that big?

Don't sweat having one engine. It's not a problem or an issue. But carry the correct anchor so you can stay put until the tow vessel arrives.

Being close to shore is a false sense of security for two reasons. One is that beaching your boat in a storm is the end of the boat. Second is that shore does not automatically give you shelter; that is determined first by wind direction. waters close to shore are shallower and therefore rougher, more likely to have currents to contend with (tho I don;t know the Gulf WRTT). You really are safer a few miles out than going along shore.

If you had a bowrider under 20' my advice would not apply.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for any help!

Black Pearl94

What part of the gulf are you looking at. Off shore in the panhandle is pretty choppy most of the time. Down around Ft Myers it is usually calmer than most inland lakes on busy days.

Black Pearl94

Recruit

Thanks for the opinions everyone!

@ikbum The area that I am looking at would probably be south of St. Petersburg down to the Keys.

lkbum

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the opinions everyone!

@ikbum The area that I am looking at would probably be south of St. Petersburg down to the Keys.

I go boating a couple of times a year from Sanibel Island to Marco Island. You see a lot of "small" boats with singles 2 to 3 miles out. From St Pete south there are plenty of inlets if you need to get out of bad weather. I really like that Cobalt model, I have a Chaparral 280 SSi bowrider (it has twins).

The Rooster

Ensign

no. you are in too close and might run aground.

I'm kidding, but seriously, you have a 27' boat. Properly operated it will survive about anything you might get caught in, assuming you start out in fair weather. The more important factor IN THESE CIRCUMSTANCES is how far you are from running back to shelter. You question implies you will stay close to home; you did not ask about crossing the Gulf, and that would be a no-no for you in that hull. If you plan a long-distance run, say an overnight destination cruise, get some help from locals as to route and weather. Isn't that why you got a boat that big?

Don't sweat having one engine. It's not a problem or an issue. But carry the correct anchor so you can stay put until the tow vessel arrives.

Being close to shore is a false sense of security for two reasons. One is that beaching your boat in a storm is the end of the boat. Second is that shore does not automatically give you shelter; that is determined first by wind direction. waters close to shore are shallower and therefore rougher, more likely to have currents to contend with (tho I don;t know the Gulf WRTT). You really are safer a few miles out than going along shore.

If you had a bowrider under 20' my advice would not apply.

+1 to "Home Cookin". That 27' Cobalt is one of the largest, high quality bowriders made. I wouldn't think twice about it in "normal" conditions. A buddy of mine in Ft. Lauderdale makes the run to Bimini in his 28' Sea Ray bowrider all the time. Good luck !!!

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As everyone else said no problem. That a large well built bowrider. I would run it 20X that far on the proper days. If it all about the weather, I have been 13 miles off in a 17' CC and days I wouldnt go a mile in your 27'.

Black Pearl94

Recruit

Hello everyone! Thanks for all of your great opinions! They have really been a great help! Again, thanks! Have a great day! Black Pearl94

Thalasso

Commander

Thanks for any help!

Black Pearl94

Get yourself a bow cover made to close up the bow section if you run into bad weather. If you stuf the bow it will fill the boat quick. They just snap on.

Jake007

Seaman

That is an awsome boat. I have a 20' Cobalt and it is the best boat I have owned. Super high quality, style, and workmanship. I boat on the east coast of FL and the seas are not as kind as the west coast and my Cobalt is smaller. I do not take mine in the ocean only the intracoastal waters. Like others have said, you should be fine if you pick your days since it is an awesome size and it is generally calm on the west coast. I like the comment on the bow cover as well which will likely keep water from coming in if needed. However, if you truely want to be a regular for offshore and venture 30miles out to fish, suggest getting the right tool for the job which means pass on this one and get one built for offshore.