Quick tach question

River Rider

Seaman Apprentice
I have quiCk question hopefully. I have a 1989 70 horse evinrude outboard and can't figure out what pole the tach should be set to. I tried the originally recommended 6 pole but that is for up to an 83. Any help is appreciated.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: Quick tach question

Should be position 6. What happens when you have it set on 6 ??

River Rider

Seaman Apprentice

Well tha tach is basically not doing anything. I have everything wired correctly I think. There wasn't a tach originally, but I do have the grey wire from the wiring harness hooked to the sending post, ignition hot post is tied to the ignition hot on the starter switch, and the ground post tied into the ground on the starter switch. I might not be getting anything through the existing grey tach wire so I might need to check that tonight.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

There is no ground post on the starter switch. Ground the gauge to the ground connection on any other gauge. Same for the "I" (ignition/+12 volt) connection. There are two "M" terminals on the ignition switch. One of those is grounded but it is not intended for any other stuff to be grounded via that wire since when you turn the key off the two "M" terminals are connected. You may just have toasted the tach or else the voltage regulator/rectifier is shot which is where the tach pulse comes from. Verify that the charging system is working. If you have a voltmeter, start the engine and see if the gauge reads above 12.6 volts.