site for finding used trucks

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm using autotrader.com to help locate a used tow vechile. Are there any other decent sites for finding used vechiles?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: site for finding used trucks

The web site for every car dealer in your area should keep you busy for awhile. And just because it's a dealer does not mean they have no deals. YOU make the deal. The classified ads in your local newspaper is another source as is Craigs List. If you answer a Craigs list ad make sure you take your largest friend with you. You never know what evil lurks in those ads. The best bet is to meet them in a very public place. If they refuse -- drop them like a hot potato as they really aren't interested in selling or just too darned lazy. And for your sake, make sure the seller has a current title and that it is lien free. If there is a name in the lien holder space, the seller should have a lien release document from the bank/credit union if the rig is paid for. If not, they need to clear that up. No title -- no deal. And for gosh sakes DO NOT be suckered by the I'll send you the title. If those words come out of their mouth there is a good chance the seller has never transfered the title to his name or possibly doesn't even own the truck.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I'm drivin' a truck I bought on ebay 6 years, 'n over a hundred thousand miles ago...

etracer68

Ensign

My take along biggest friend's name is GLOCK, never let me down yet.:eek:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Autotrader is my go-to site. Cars.com, autobytel.com, vehix.com all pale in comparison. For cheap vehicles, ebay, and craigslist. Lime I know you're a good be east of me but in central PA we have a pretty large auto shopper magazine you can pick up free at convenience stores called Cars by Dealers. They have a decent web site with listings to go along with it, carsbydealers.net. Not sure if there's an equivalent in your area.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I'm with Silvertip. I've found Autotrader useful, but every vehicle I've bought (at least since internet browsing came into vogue) I've found on a dealer's website.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

One last thought -- check all of your local banks and credit unions for repossessions. Although they no longer hang onto vehicles very long, you might just get lucky. All they want is their money back.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I have to vote for Auto Trader. The last 6 cars my wife and I have purchased we found listed on Auto Trader. Some have been through dealers and some have been through private parties.

It's easier to shop dealers online than to fight with salespeople while just looking. It's also a good tool to find what the market is and what's available.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

I bought my BMW off of Cars.com from an individual seller and had a good experience.

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just find that there is a huge selection and many people use craigslist. If you go to crazedlist.org you can search multiple cities/areas at the same time. I think that little program works best with firefox.

buildmark

Seaman Apprentice

I have bought 3 vehicles using ebay and they were all good. Always ask all the right questions.

Jim311

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been looking on Craigslist and other avenues for a while and am simply having a hard time finding the right truck for the right price.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for all the info. I'm looking for a chevy crew cab duramax diesel truck. I've found plenty of them in my price range. The problem is there mainly out of state. Which isn't a problem. I don't mind driving a couple of hours but i hate it when i do that and it turns out to be a peice of crap. Plus most people/dealers don't accept out of state personal checks and i really don't want to travel with 15k to 18k in my back pocket

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

carsforsale.com is where I just bought my Dakota

ezimmerm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the info. I'm looking for a chevy crew cab duramax diesel truck. I've found plenty of them in my price range. The problem is there mainly out of state. Which isn't a problem. I don't mind driving a couple of hours but i hate it when i do that and it turns out to be a peice of crap. Plus most people/dealers don't accept out of state personal checks and i really don't want to travel with 15k to 18k in my back pocket

What I usually do when I have to travel to purchase a vehicle is take no cash at all. Take a look at the vehicle during business hours if you can, and if you decide to make a deal head over to the your banks local branch and get a cashiers check while you're both there.

Works everytime (if you use a large bank with multiple locations).

jkust

Rear Admiral

My last tow vehicle I bought last month, I used Auto tempest http://www.autotempest.com/?fromhh=1
It combines I think almost every site mentioned above into one page. I am in MN where there is almost no unemployment above the natural unemployment rate (which is never discussed) so things never really slowed down hence our cars are expensive (our boats are over the top expensive as well). I figured out that if you buy from a more depressed economy, in my case I bought from Ohio, and their used cars were at minimum 30% cheaper than here. The used vehicles in some states were so drastically cheap that there could almost be an exchange rate. It is the only real example I can come up with for getting something for nothing. I had mine shipped on Friday and it was in my driveway Monday afternoon and still saved enough over MN pricing to buy an entire other car if I had wanted. The other benefit of shopping the whole country is you can get the vehicle exactly as you want it which for certain cars is difficult.

One thing I ran in to here locally aside from rust on cars only 2 years old, and lying sales people was the single price dealers. They were simply unwilling to negotiate or add anything extra in no matter the logic, or actual market value. Some of those trucks have been sitting on their lots for over a year still to this day which just baffels me.