Wood Flooring Install Question

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Going to have engineered brazilian cherry wood flooring installed on a 20+ year old slab concrete floor. Contractor says he is going to use Bostik's Best but I am wonderring if I should also have him put down the Bostik MVP4 sealer first. I do not have a water problem and there is a vapor barrier under the slab.

Any thoughts?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Wood Flooring Install Question

I'll ask my son who is in the Hardwood flooring business...he sells lots of exotic, high-end flooring for custom homes and he'll know;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Just for added info, I am in southern California.

robert graham

Admiral

O.K. Bruce, checked with my son in the flooring business and he said the Bostik's Best is all you need, especially with the under-slab vapor barrier and no history of water problems. He also mentioned that they have very successfully used a flooring adhesive made by Wakol of Germany. He said either will work but they're partial to the Wakol product. Might check it out!...Good Luck!:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You'd think a guy named
bruce-logo.jpg
could install a friggin' hardwood floor :p

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I can install Shocks on my vehicles as well, but just scheduled an appointment to have a mechanic do them!

LOL

glastron09

Cadet

i have 35 years in floorcovering , first you should check with the manufacture to see the moisture limit of the product , then run a rh test or calcium chloried to determine the level of moisture in the concrete ,Bostick is great glue but there are many that are good also . good luck

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Bruce you are just putting the hard wood over the concrete floor direct with adhesive/glue??
I was always under the impression that you layed a sheet of 1/2 inch +- plywood down first as a sub floor, I learn new things here each day.
(take a before, during and after picture for us to see)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Engineered floor is what I am installing. A true solid hardwood floor can't be glued directly onto concrete and needs the plywood underlayment like you mention.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Engineered floor is what I am installing. A true solid hardwood floor can't be glued directly onto concrete and needs the plywood underlayment like you mention.

OK, that makes sense.
Engineered flooring does not absorb as much moisture like true hardwood flooring due to the glues in it??

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Its not really the moisture but being able to expand and contract without cracking which is what I understand.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So my flooring guy wants to use Bostik Vapor Lock instead of Bostik Best. Is this a suitable alternative?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Going to have engineered brazilian cherry wood flooring installed on a 20+ year old slab concrete floor. Contractor says he is going to use Bostik's Best but I am wonderring if I should also have him put down the Bostik MVP4 sealer first. I do not have a water problem and there is a vapor barrier under the slab.

Any thoughts?

Just one. Not having a water problem is not the same as not having a moisture problem...:)

Put down a 2'x2' piece of 6 mil vapour barrier, edges sealed with duct tape in 2 or 3 places on that slab. Give it a couple of days and check whether there is any moisture under the plastic.

I also have a suggestion. Check out some of the high-end laminates. I was a "hardwood is the only option guy" but for a few reasons ended up doing a room with a laminate at the cottage. Warmer than hardwood, IMO just as aesthetic, and more durable.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Put down a 2'x2' piece of 6 mil vapour barrier, edges sealed with duct tape in 2 or 3 places on that slab. Give it a couple of days and check whether there is any moisture under the plastic.
I will do that test. Flooring was delivered today and will be installed in a couple weeks.

I called Bostik today and the Bostik Vapor Lock adhesive is an advancement over Bostik Best in that it seals the concrete against moisture so you don't have to do a seperate sealer first.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I will do that test. Flooring was delivered today and will be installed in a couple weeks.

I called Bostik today and the Bostik Vapor Lock adhesive is an advancement over Bostik Best in that it seals the concrete against moisture so you don't have to do a seperate sealer first.

I don't really have any expertise to comment on the adhesive options (sounds like you have sources that do have that expertise), but I would be leery about expecting anything to seal out moisture from the inside if it is permeating through from underneath, and that almost always (in my experience) ends up being problematic. My suggestion was just a quick and effective check to rule that out.

If you do not find any moisture under that plastic sheet, I am sure you are good to go.

If you do, be extra vigilant and careful with your solution. :)