Best prop for Crownline 180 BR 3.0L (135hp)

festab

Cadet
Just wondering best prop for skiing as my current configuration is slow to get going when pulling a skier. I heard that the original aluminium prop the boat is sold with was incorrect, so most owners replace them. I have a stainless steel solas not sure of model and pitch.

burp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Best prop for Crownline 180 BR 3.0L (135hp)

festab,

The correct prop will allow the engine to achieve it's maximum rated engine RPM at wide open throttle (WOT). Boat loading, altitude and ambient air temp/humidity will impact the emgine performance as well, so make sure you make your test runs with "normal" conditions.

Reducing the prop pitch will increase engine RPM's while reducing the boats top speed but will improve the hole shot. An increase in prop pitch will decrease engine RPM's, possibly increasing the boats top speed but can reduce the boats top speed if the engine RPM's are reduced too much. Regardless, increasing the prop pitch will cause the boat to take a slightly longer time to plane.

Changing from a 3 blade prop to a 4 or 5 blade prop will improve your hole shot but reduce your top speed slightly.

Before you start the prop selection process, make sure your engine is operating properly and your hull is clean of any marine growth. Note your current prop diameter and pitch. Then make sure you can achieve your engine's maximum rated RPM's at WOT. All this will be needed to decide which prop size will be needed to achieve the intended results.

festab

Cadet
Re: Best prop for Crownline 180 BR 3.0L (135hp)

Thanks for the excellent info, sounds like I need to investigate 4 or 5 blade prop.
festab,

The correct prop will allow the engine to achieve it's maximum rated engine RPM at wide open throttle (WOT). Boat loading, altitude and ambient air temp/humidity will impact the emgine performance as well, so make sure you make your test runs with "normal" conditions.

Reducing the prop pitch will increase engine RPM's while reducing the boats top speed but will improve the hole shot. An increase in prop pitch will decrease engine RPM's, possibly increasing the boats top speed but can reduce the boats top speed if the engine RPM's are reduced too much. Regardless, increasing the prop pitch will cause the boat to take a slightly longer time to plane.

Changing from a 3 blade prop to a 4 or 5 blade prop will improve your hole shot but reduce your top speed slightly.

Before you start the prop selection process, make sure your engine is operating properly and your hull is clean of any marine growth. Note your current prop diameter and pitch. Then make sure you can achieve your engine's maximum rated RPM's at WOT. All this will be needed to decide which prop size will be needed to achieve the intended results.