Used Magma Grill - Can they be polished up? Any problems to look out for?

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer
Looked at a couple used Magma grills (the round ones) and they are pretty dull looking - Can these be polished to liven them up a little? Anything to look out for on these?

Thx.

LK

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Used Magma Grill - Can they be polished up? Any problems to look out for?

Al, I have a Magma on my barge and absolutely love it. There's not a whole lot to them in terms of parts, so I'd say just be sure everything you can see (burner, valve, etc.) is in good condition. There aren't really any hidden components. If it lights and warms up properly you should be good to go. Frankly I'm surprised you've found any used ones for sale. When mine gets too dirty to stand any longer I just pressure wash it really well inside and out, scrub the stubborn stuff with one of those disposable green pads (Scotchbrite I think), then spray if off again. If you wanted to shine it up you could probably just use some stainless steel cleaner.

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

easy off oven cleaner
followed by stainless steel polish and buff with buffer
Some will have a blue tent from the heat I have not been able to remove the blue tent
but after a good buffing you do not notice the blue tenting

Harry

lncoop

Vice Admiral

easy off oven cleaner
followed by stainless steel polish and buff with buffer
Some will have a blue tent from the heat I have not been able to remove the blue tent
but after a good buffing you do not notice the blue tenting

Harry

The blue tint is a mark of honor. The Blue Badge of Courage.;)

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I have a brand new one I havnt mounted yet. Waiting out the weather to finish up this winters improvments.

hog88

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm thinking of buying a Magma, one of the rectangular ones. I am planning on useing the Seasucker suction mount so I can put it up and take it down without putting any more holes in my boat. Have any of you used the Seasucker mount? Also what about drips, do the Magma's hold the grease without dripping on the deck?

lncoop

Vice Admiral

I'm thinking of buying a Magma, one of the rectangular ones. I am planning on useing the Seasucker suction mount so I can put it up and take it down without putting any more holes in my boat. Have any of you used the Seasucker mount? Also what about drips, do the Magma's hold the grease without dripping on the deck?

I have a rectangular model that mounts on my railing. Been using it for two years and it's only dripped on the carpet once, but it was a tiny amount and was really the result of carelessness (kid bumped into it or something like that as I recall). It has a drip pan that runs the length of the grill and is more than adequate to catch and hold any drippings. Can't help you with the Seasucker mount, but I've grilled many a dog, burger, chop, etc. while underway without any issues. I just leave the brackets in place and remove the grill for stowing. I was going to include a pic of how it mounts, but it's not displaying for some reason.

nosticks

Cadet

I've had two of the Magma Kettle types. Great grills. Replaced several of the burners over time. Eventually one of the inner liners rotted through, but after about eight years or so. I also have a really neat scar on my forearm from reaching for the lid that was dangling from it's retainer wire at the time. Yep, it will sear you just like a steak. Oh well, if you're going to be stupid, you gotta be tough.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Oh well, if you're going to be stupid, you gotta be tough.

Okay, you just made me break my hard and fast rule of never laughing out loud before 8:00. I'll be using this one..................a lot!:facepalm: