Pulling the trigger on a 2012 SS201 I/O

The Shafer

Recruit
Howdy from Texas.

I just returned from the Dallas Boat Show and actually putting my hands on a SS202 I/O. I love the boat and I feel that I got a great price. My question is, are there any design flaws or major issues with this boat? I have a friend that has an older Hurricane Fundeck and loves it.

I have sold my bass boat to get a family boat as my children are getting a little older where they can enjoy it.

You're comments are greatly appreciated.

Btw... It was/is a tough choice for me between the SS202 I/O and the 211 O/B.

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Pulling the trigger on a 2012 SS201 I/O

Congratulations on the new boat and welcome to the forum! Hurricane has been around for a good while, and the hull design on your boat has been pretty well tested. I don't know of any design problems, etc. to look out for. I'm not familiar with the IO drive models, but there are a number of knowledgeable engine guys around here that can help you out if you have any problems.

I think you made a great choice for a family boat. I know my family has enjoyed ours, and they still make a pretty good fishing platform (maybe you won't miss the bass boat too much). Be sure and post up some photos once you pick it up. There is a thread around here someplace just for that.

This section of the forum is a little quiet this time of year, but will pick up some during the summer months. Also be sure to sign up on the Hurricane Owners Club site: http://www.hurricaneownersclub.com/Home.aspx They have factory techs. that monitor that site that can occasionally help with questions.

Again, Welcome Aboard!

ShadowB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Pulling the trigger on a 2012 SS201 I/O

I don't think you'd of gone wrong with either pick. I have a 2008 FD202GS with a I/O 4.3L 190HP which probably has the same designs despite the year differences. My decision came down to finding it for sale with only 2 hrs on it at a huge discount. I was looking strictly for Hurricanes though. I love the boat and there really isn't any cons I can think of. My family absolutely loves the boat and it seems every time we go out we have a full load. Even then it has plenty of power pulling toys. And it's a great swim platform. I live on a lake and the boat is parked in the boat house so I don't trailer it very often. The times I have, its been fairly easy and a non-issue. Winterizing is pretty simple and once you do it the first time it's not much. As far as using it in the winter I'm not going out on the water when it's cold and when the temps do get warmer I use a drop light for nights when it gets close. Only thing I'd say about the boat, is when it's pitch black the dock lights are useless so I leave the dock lights on and I use a couple of plug in spots to light things up pulling it in. Only other thing I'd recommend for an I/O, attach a lanyard to your engine hatch actuator pin. If you lose elec. power and need to open the hatch to get to the motor there's no way to get to that pin to disconnect the hatch from actuator. I use a thin piece of anchor rope, tie one end to the pin and one to my aft B-Top support rods. works great. Lucky that has never been an issue but learned to do that on this great forum. We have a great Hurricane dealer here and are always helpful with any questions. Knock on wood I have had zero warranty issues. Lastly, I agree with Earnest T join the Hurricane Owners Club. Enjoy your Hurricane!

2008 FD202GS
43.L 190 HP