oil seal

popey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My Mercruiser 165 il6 is leaking a bit of oil. The oil seal in front - where the v-belt is, leaks. After so many years this can happen. Is it difficult to change? Anyone experience on that? Special equipment needed?

Thanks for your reply, popey:)

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: oil seal

That's the front cover seal. On the IL6 it can be a bit of a mission to replace. You need to remove the front engine mount. That means supporting the front of the engine while you do it. I would take the drive off while you do that, so as not to accidentally damage the coupler. Once you have the mount out of the way, remove the V-belt and crankshaft pulley. Then flick the old seal out and push a new one in. Check the seal surface on the pulley to ensure it's not grooved (the main reason the seals leak in the first place). Once you get it all back together, and before you put the drive back on, CHECK THE ENGINE ALIGNMENT!!!

The only special equipment needed is a crankshaft pulley puller.. (usually rentable form a local car parts shop)..

Good luck.

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Guys:

As usual achris is entirely right. However, IMHO you would be better to pull the engine and check everything as it's a lot of work in a difficult location to simply change one seal.

kilowatts

mike165

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have a good look at the bottom of the timing gear cover,mine was leaking I thought was the seal,it was a rust or corrosion hole at the bottom of the cover

Pete104

Lieutenant

I was going to suggest too make sure the timing cover isn't rusted thru. I've seen it happen on in-lines to big blocks.
The spots that don't get painted, rust much sooner than the seal failing.

mike165

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was going to suggest too make sure the timing cover isn't rusted thru. I've seen it happen on in-lines to big blocks.
The spots that don't get painted, rust much sooner than the seal failing.
Simple fix get it shot blasted,braize it up and powder coat