rub rail repair

jonz

Cadet
Hi, I have a 1996 glastron gs 205 the rub rail needs to be re connected it became seperated from side up by the port helm needs to be re screwed down I need to remove rubber/plastic strip from channel all the way back from the aft. I can get it out but I can see it going to be tuff getting it back in. Is there a tool that does that or some trick or secret way of making it less of a night mare . Thanks in advance for any help. Jonz

chriscraft254

Commander
Re: rub rail repair

Screen roller and a mallet. Heat gun helps and a little soap never hurts either.

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: rub rail repair

hi.....we would need to se pics of the rub rail as there are several different kinds.

normally the insert is either screwed in or pressure fit by having the rub rail insert slide in a channel.

the real rub rail....the big rubber strip is riveted on to the hull.....once you get the insert out....

take a rivet gun and replace the area that popped off. if you need to drill more holes to secure the rail straight, go for it.

as far as the insert.....there are two methods...... using a blow dryer, warm up the rubber rail to make it plyable, then manipulate the insert back in.

the other way is to add dish washing soap into the channel and from the end (not around the corner) and tap it into place with a gentle rubber mallett.

this will take two people, one to tap, and one to guide.
as far as the corner, use the blow dryer and fit it back into the channel.

if you have the crew in type, it is self evident.