Attwood Outboard Fuel Filter, Suggestions/help

DougyB

Petty Officer 2nd Class
http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/fuel-outboard-fuel-filter

I just bought this fuel filter for my 91 25hp johnson that has had its first carb problem last year( with fresh gas, new tank, and all new lines, Grrrrrrr) I have a few questions, first being whether it should be inside or outside the bonnet?

Second question, is this going to be just as good as the inline filter? I would think mines almost the same except for the replacement filters in the in-line product.

Third, i see everyone absolutely loving these fuel/water attwood seperators. Can They fit on a 25 horse?
And finally, how often should i clean the fuel filter mounted on the side of the engine?
Thanks to all for the help, all advice greatly appreciated

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: Attwood Outboard Fuel Filter, Suggestions/help

normally it would be inside.

a mechanic here could advise whether using both this and the original filter is too much impedance. It seems like this just duplicates the other. However, all I had on my old OMC was a piece of screen!

They make water seperators now for small motors. I don't think you need the atwood with a water/fuel.

DougyB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a water seperator? ill look into it right now

robert graham

Admiral

If you can mount your Attwood fuel/water separator outside on the transom it could eliminate any potential leakage/fumes/fire issues in the future, that you might have if it's mounted inside the engine compartment(bonnet). Leave your original motor mounted fuel filter/screen in place just as a back-up. The Attwood fuel/water separator is much better than the motor mounted filter/screen. From time to time, just unscrew the filter cartridge, dump it into a clean container to inspect for water or debris, screw it back on, re-prime the system and you're good to go. Continue to now and then check/clean your motor mounted filter/screen just to be sure. Using some Stabil or Seafoam in you gas tank on a regular basis can also help prevent fuel system/carb problems. Also a good idea to drain your carb float chambers every now and then (usually just a small screw on the bottom/side of carb) Good Luck!:)

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Agreed with most of above. But I don't think there's any issue with installing the separator in an enclosed area, like under the rear cap / in the bilge area...so long as it is high enough not to get submerged. I considered transom-mounting, but a good following wave and the thing gets submerged, I don't like that idea.

I used to have bad fuel and gummy carburetor problems all the time on my 1978 Merc 70hp 3 cylinder. Since I installed one of those fuel water separators (I used the Sierra brand, with the screw-on, oil-filter-looking elements) about a year ago, I have not had a single fuel-related or carburetor issue. Best thing I ever did for the boat. I put the separator between the tank and the primer bulb.

I did also install a filter similar to what you're showing (In my case, a Sierra Clearview filter with replaceable elements) under the cowl, after the bulb, and after the OB diaphragm pump, in place of the factory OB filter, just to pick up anything that flakes off from inside the primer bulb, pump or post-separator lines.

I run maybe 100-150 gal/year through my OB; I replace the separator canister once a year, and the clearview elements every 6 months.

Last edited:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I don't agree with dumping them due to other stuff that might be caught up in there, as well as manufacturer's recommendations; they are cheap enough but important enough to replace periodically.

I do, however, dump mine into a clear bottle and let it settle, to inspect for water, etc.

robert graham

Admiral

I don't agree with dumping them due to other stuff that might be caught up in there, as well as manufacturer's recommendations; they are cheap enough but important enough to replace periodically.

I do, however, dump mine into a clear bottle and let it settle, to inspect for water, etc.

The Attwood canisters are about $8, so I dumped and re-used mine for about 3 years, just replaced it this year. So I hacksawed the old one just to see what was in it, and it looked about like new except for a few very fine particles left in it. But it's like a lot of filters and things, if it gives peace of mind to toss it, then I'd go for it. Good Luck!;)

DougyB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the help guys. Im gonna get the fuel water seperator then, and since i have this in line filter ill put it on and if its slowing down the fuel flow ill take it off later. I appreciate all the input from everyone.

DougyB

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey guys, i just installed the water seperator mounted to the transom, i run a 6 gallon tank, and from the seperator to the engine I would only need about 2 feet of fuel line including the bulb, I have an easy four feet... should I cut the extra two feet for better flow or leave it?

robert graham

Admiral

A little extra hose won't hurt anything, put a loop in it and let it lay there...think of it as "some extra/spare fuel line" for future use!;)...but if it makes it look better/more tidy, or it makes you feel better, then trim it down to size....it's a win/win either way!:)