MD Trailer weigh-in

snapshotmd

Seaman
I'm trying to get a trailer Maine registered. MBI wants to see some type of document that has the weight of the trailer on it, as well as the bill of sale. Where in Maryland can I get the trailer weighed and get this doc?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: MD Trailer weigh-in

Maryland is a title state. You need a title before you can register. When I registered with MBI all they needed was a copy of the title.

snapshotmd

Seaman

Maryland is a title state. You need a title before you can register. When I registered with MBI all they needed was a copy of the title.

Not if you're applying for a Maine registration...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I don't know what is available in Maryland as far as scales go, but I'm sure there is a moving company.

The kind you hire when you want to move your household goods across country.
They have scales, as do truck stops.

halfmoa

Ensign

^^^^^^^
A truck stop is your best bet. Certified scales and reciepts.

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The bill of sale should come from whomever you bought it from.

Captain Obvious, signing off. :)

LilRedNeckGirl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Your bill of sale is for tax reasons. Try asking if there is a "blue book " option on the taxes. They look at current BB value and you pay tax on that amount, sans a bill of sale especialy if you bought it years ago. If its in your name now, you shouldnt need a bill of sale to transfer to Maine.
Scales are fine for weight, but most states accept a picture or transfer* of the weight tag on the trailer. {* Take a peice of paper over the info tag, rub it with a pencil to transfer a copy to paper} The weight is also to determine the TAX you pay on the weight rateing on the tag, @ 2000 lb, 4000 lb, 7000 lb.

Lowe170

Seaman

I'm trying to get a trailer Maine registered. MBI wants to see some type of document that has the weight of the trailer on it, as well as the bill of sale. Where in Maryland can I get the trailer weighed and get this doc?

Komrad, Don't deprive your People's MVA of more of your hard earned monies; there are fancier electronic signs needed to be purchased to help us know how even better how much longer we must wait in line there to pay for tags and registrations... :rolleyes:

UncleWillie

Captain

Don't know if you have done this before ....

But, you are looking to weigh the empty trailer, detached from the vehicle, not the boat and trailer.
The registration fee on 800lbs. is alot different than 4000lbs. :(

They assume an 800lb trailer will be carying 3-4000lbs.
A 4000lb trailer would normally carry 20-30,000 lbs and be taxed accordingly. :eek: