Ride Guide steering cable replacement

AviatorJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I am in the midst of replacing the old transom assy on my Bertram (cracked and corroded), I'm installing a mid 80's Alpha. We found the steering cable split and rusted, and wound up cutting it into a couple of pieces to get it out. I found new Ride Guide cables, but I need to change out the cable on the rack, and it doesn't want to come apart.

I need to know how to get the cable off of the rack, and also where to make the measurement for cable length. I do have the old cable for measuring.

Many thanks.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Ride Guide steering cable replacement

So I am in the midst of replacing the old transom assy on my Bertram (cracked and corroded), I'm installing a mid 80's Alpha. We found the steering cable split and rusted, and wound up cutting it into a couple of pieces to get it out. I found new Ride Guide cables, but I need to change out the cable on the rack, and it doesn't want to come apart.

I need to know how to get the cable off of the rack, and also where to make the measurement for cable length. I do have the old cable for measuring.

Many thanks.

Ayuh,.... Replace the Whole Thing,...

Cable, 'n helm packages are priced so's that the Whole thing is nearly as cheap as just the cable....

I'm truly impressed if you were able to find a source of RideGuide cables. When I was rebuilding my Checkmate I looked and looked and looked and never was able to come up with any. I wound up changing to a Teleflex NFB dual rack system which I really like, but I had to replace the helm, wheel and everything.

It's been a while now, but as I recall there are nuts on the end of the cable that goes into the rack that have to come off. To access those the racks have to come out, and then I believe the racks will come apart so you can get to those nuts.

AviatorJim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm truly impressed if you were able to find a source of RideGuide cables. When I was rebuilding my Checkmate I looked and looked and looked and never was able to come up with any. I wound up changing to a Teleflex NFB dual rack system which I really like, but I had to replace the helm, wheel and everything.

It's been a while now, but as I recall there are nuts on the end of the cable that goes into the rack that have to come off. To access those the racks have to come out, and then I believe the racks will come apart so you can get to those nuts.

Many thanks. I wasn't sure if when I split the rack parts would explode across the shop. And I found the cables at that superstore where all the obsolete and ancient parts, new, used, and broken go. I'll likely go to hydraulic steering when I come to the end of my engine and drive upgrades.