OMC Cobra

mike165

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking at a Pride (Australian) hull as a resto,it has an OMC out drive mod 985268 # T0165220,I think this is a 1.71 ratio,has a 3lt motor which has thrown a leg out of bed I have a L6 in line that I am looking at fitting,the fly wheel cover and coupling look as though they will fit.
Any advice welcomed,thanks in advance

halfmoa

Ensign
Re: OMC Cobra

Well I may be a bit out of line but I believe the general consensus on the OMC outdrives is to turn 180 degrees from facing the boat and walk in that direction as quickly as possible.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Well I may be a bit out of line but I believe the general consensus on the OMC outdrives is to turn 180 degrees from facing the boat and walk in that direction as quickly as possible.

That's generally a true statement.......

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

OMC went out of business in 1998, everything is now used or aftermarket in parts and manuals. Experienced techs with the special tools and training for rebuilding drives and other OMC specific parts are slowly going away, and selling their tools.
That's here in the US, hate to think what it is in Oz were even common Mercruiser stuff is big time expensive.

Bondo

Staff member

I am looking at a Pride (Australian) hull as a resto,it has an OMC out drive mod 985268 # T0165220,I think this is a 1.71 ratio,has a 3lt motor which has thrown a leg out of bed I have a L6 in line that I am looking at fitting,the fly wheel cover and coupling look as though they will fit.
Any advice welcomed,thanks in advance

Ayuh,.... If ya buy it with the Intention of strippin', 'n partin' it out,....
You could make some decent money...
The smaller you make the pieces yer sellin', the more money you'll make,....
Motors are sorta cheap,...
Turn it into Parts, 'n it's Gold......;)

mike165

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the advice,I may have not been clear in my 1st post on what I may be doing.I have a 20' 80's Bayliner MC1 & L6 I am looking to upgrade to a 350 this winter,which leaves me with good L6,the Pride is good condition no rot etc just needs a good clean up,I can make $5k AUD out of this which would help pay for the 350 upgrade

55evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

If your just fixing it up to sell it and make some cash than i would say just do it. as long as you don't put to much money into it and it is all good condition. I would check ahead of time to make sure all the parts your going to need are available.

mike165

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm doing as a means to an end,put the L6 out my 82 bayliner into the Pride,and a new 350 into the Bayliner,all being well the profit from the Pride will cover the 350 job

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks for all the advice,I may have not been clear in my 1st post on what I may be doing.I have a 20' 80's Bayliner MC1 & L6 I am looking to upgrade to a 350 this winter,which leaves me with good L6,the Pride is good condition no rot etc just needs a good clean up,I can make $5k AUD out of this which would help pay for the 350 upgrade

Ayuh,.... That don't get you a drive for the 350,.... The I6 ratio is all Wrong...

'n, you're mixin' Merc, with OMC, which means things probably won't line up, much less bolt up...

55evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bondo is right i missed the part about the I6 being a mercruiser. In that case Bondo is right bolts and parts and exhaust will not line up right. I would say it would be more work and hassle than its worth

mike165

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,.... That don't get you a drive for the 350,.... The I6 ratio is all Wrong...

'n, you're mixin' Merc, with OMC, which means things probably won't line up, much less bolt up...
It looks like the fly wheel cover and coupling from the 4 cyld 3L will fit the L6,Iam going to check all that today(the boat live 100mls away)
I am aware of the ratio 1.65 on the L6 and the 350 is 1.5,I thought I may may be able to go up in prop size,I use a 14.25x17P max revs at 4000,cruise at 3500,I have 18p and 19p and a 17p 4 blade to try
also the exhaust looks in about the same alignment

mike165

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just checked the 3l Flywheel cover it looks like no go to the L6,is there a cover made to suit the I6 to match up to the omc plate on the inside of the transom,if so where will I find one

mike165

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can't you take the cover from the 3.0l & use it on the 6?
Thanks for the reply,had a good look at it today it was my intention to do that but it looks differant,the I6 is still in my other boat it's hard to get a good look at it

Pete104

Lieutenant

If your 3.0 is the ford, As Bond-O stated "the smaller the pieces".