Anodes, Mercathode.....need educated.

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class
What is their purpose? I need educated here, what do they do and why? I can find, and identify them but I don't understand why they are needed.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: Anodes, Mercathode.....need educated.

when you put 2 dis-similiar metals in solution you create a battery, the anode is a self sacrificing metal that gets eaten up before the other metals.Mercathode is an electrical system that induces a counter voltage effect to offset the battery potential of the different metals in solution.

tpenfield

Staff member

To add to what the Doctur said check this link out . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion

In a boat engine (outdrive), you have steel and aluminum . . . put that in water and you get electricity. The 'weakest' metal looses the 'galvanic' battle. So, by introducing a third metal that is 'weaker' than steel or aluminum, the engine is saved from destruction.

vincechig1975

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is interesting ....I checked out the above link, wow, talk about an education. I didn't know that they played such an important role not only in safety, but in anti-corrosion of components as well. So from what I read that for fresh water use only....magnesium would be the correct type of anodes to use?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

So from what I read that for fresh water use only....magnesium would be the correct type of anodes to use?

That is what Mercruiser recommends.