76 18' starcraft missing parts of aluminum transom outer skin

dsujen

Petty Officer 1st Class
My transom wood is rotten as well as the aluminum outer shell on my 18' 1976 starcraft. The previous owner siliconed a piece of aluminum on the outside of the transom to cover the massive holes in the outer skin. I was going to cut away the rotten aluminum to within about 1 inch from the wall corners where all of the rivets are. Then I was going to cut a piece of sheet aluminum and weld around the entire perimeter. Any suggestions or better ideas?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 76 18' starcraft missing parts of aluminum transom outer skin

Dsujen - Please post some pics. It helps to see what you are trying to repair. Thanks

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

And you need to keep all of your posts concerning your boat and transom issue in one thread. Posting to multiple threads confuses everyone and makes it very difficult to keep track of what you are doing on your project. You have had multiple responses to this issue on your other thread, why did you feel the need to start this new thread?? Have you read the forum rules???

dsujen

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not good with computers or computer lingo. I don't know how to post pictures here. How do I keep it in one thread and get answers to my questions if I have multiple questions at different times? For example: I asked about using a bunk trailer or roller for an aluminum boat and I had a few people with good responses. Then there were people talking about their boats and how they slide off their trailers and how one guy unhooked his trailer strap as he was backing down the ramp. It's frustrating for me when I know that there are many people that can answer my questions, but I wind up getting people talking to others about their problems. I tried searching for info but have had a hard time narrowing things down to what I am trying to do. I do appreciate the free help. I get the responses that I get and use my judgement as to whose advice is the best.

johnnyClack

Seaman Apprentice

I understand your frustrations, some of these Old Salts can be a little ruff, they are just trying to simplify the process. I was here before & got tired of the BS, left and now I am back for more help. I find one of the Old farts who help me the most has sailed off the edge of the earth, may God Bless Him.

In my opinion here is one method of repair;

You are on the right track, remove the rotted aluminum pieces and do a "complete overlay" of the transom skin. You should be able to tie (weld) in the overlay sheet at the corners where the side of the hull connects. Depending on your level of skill at welding aluminum you can drill holes in the original skin and after mounting the overlay you can back and do what the call "plug weld" joining the the two sheets together.

sturdavj

dsujen

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just get a little upset because I'm not your average boat owner. I'm pretty handy mechanically and in the fabrication department. I'm always looking for better ways to do things. You sound like the right person to talk to. Do you know if there is a sealant around the rivets from the factory that will melt out if I weld too close? I was going to try to weld the new skin about 2 inches away from the corner rivets. Or do you think I should remove all of the original corner rivets and weld directly to the sidewalls? I know that it will be easier for me to weld direct to the corners because the original metal is thicker there. But I don't want to open up a can of worms because old, dirty aluminum can be tricky to weld. I don't care about cosmetics, but I don't want her to sink either. I don't like the idea of relying on caulk like the previous owner "resealed" the transom with.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi

im not a tinny guy....but ill just chip in here...

first off...ill try and merge all your threads into one for you.....the trailer thread can go in the trailer forum..
but the repair of the transom and rest of the hull goes under this thread.....

any motor questions will go in the appropriate motor forum.

as far as posting pictures....just up load to a place called photo bucket....(its easy) the hit "re size" to 640x480.....the copy the img tag.....and past in in your reply to this thread.....very easy.

the reason i dont reply to the threads on aluminium boats, especially the starcraft boats....is because we have a BAZILLION starcraft pros on here......
you just have to be a little patient.....the will see this and you will get all the help you need and more. !

promise !

cheers
oops

dsujen

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks. Here are some pictures. Let me know if i should continue working on this or trash it.

DSCN0022.jpg

DSCN0021.jpg

DSCN0020.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

dsujen - what is the rest of the hull like? I know you aren't going to like this but in my opinion it's time to cut your losses, recycle this one and start over with another boat. Like I said - This is my opinion.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Holy hack job batman!:eek::confused: AAaaakkkkk!!!

Allrighty, I do believe that I'm going to put the "fix it" jersey on.

First thing I'd do is get that transom out and clean everything up on both sides (you can click the "Starcraft Rebuilds" link in my signature to check out about 50 transom jobs done).

Then, get all the loose junk, rust, corrosion, adhesive otta the way (sand, wire wheel, whatever).

Then, I'd cut out a new transom skin just a bit smaller your current transom skin. Notch trowel on 5200 to both the boat side and the new transom skin, clamp it up or bolt it up with your new transom install.

This is jspano's Starcraft - he had a bunch of corrosion on his transom skin and did just that, check it out (post 89ish)...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=364279&page=5

You can also take a look at the Jet Star project in my signature, round about post #465. It's a smaller (thicker) scale but the same concept.

Have fun!:)

dsujen

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can't stop now. I spent all weekend making the wooden trailer!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

HA! I just saw your occupation, yah, no need to explain the "notch trowel" process to you my friend!:)

dsujen

Petty Officer 1st Class

maybe I''ll install some glass mosaic tile on the transom.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

A good cheap place to score aluminum plate is your local salvage yard and ask for a large road sign. You could fab the new skin from this and then rivet it in place. It truly does appear that the mounting brackets are still in good enough shape to allow you to do this. I am not a "Tinner" but I believe you can fix this thing for not much money or effort and the rest of the hull looks to be in good shape.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Perfectly repairable. Use some stripper and get all the paint off that outer piece. DO NOT cut it away at all.

Remove the transom cap and extract the rotted wood.

Yup the cheapest and really most durable repair will be from an older highway sign (which are anodized and actually thicker then the transom covering). You can do the repair a few ways.

Welding about 1 " from the existing seam which is fine and do not worry about melting any seam sealer.

Or

Using rivets to attach.

A nice road closed sign (4' x 4') should cover the majority of the transom and will have a seam (when done) down the middle...... or purchase a sheet of aluminum cut to size and get a decent thickness. I like working with 10 gauge which is about 1/8" thick.

Regardless of which method you use be certain the use Gluvit on all the seams. That will make up for the loss of any seam sealer that was in place.

That boat looks more then salvageable.

You will be replacing ALL the knee brace attachment rivets and bolts......... so...... do not be shy when cleaning the old transom down to the metal and just grind the heads off. The channel that holds the bottom of the transom wood will need to come off too so when the "new" piece of aluminum is attached it will have a flat surface to adhere to.

The new knee brace bolts and assorted channel attachment points will draw that metal in nice and flat

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That's a good fixer upper.

dsujen

Petty Officer 1st Class

more pics of demolition.
boat003.jpg

boat002.jpg

boat001.jpg

boat004.jpg

dsujen

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm thinking about an all aluminum skeleton for the new transom.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I agree with Bob...

DO NOT cut it away at all.

Ah rats......

Well, still fixable.

You just have a whole lot less surface area to fasten/bolt/stabilize/strengthen that transom. Whatever method you choose from here (bolt, weld, or both) has to be spot on!

I'm thinking about an all aluminum skeleton for the new transom.

This has been discussed many times here on the forum. I do believe the overwhelming agreement is that alum would be too expensive, and too heavy while MG/Ext Grade Ply, sealed up correctly is the way to go for strength, weight, and budget.

johnnyClack

Seaman Apprentice

I like the street sign idea, that is one heck of a plan.

Your doing fine, my only suggestion would to cross brace your sides before you go to much farther, or you'll be wiping your *** on a hoop.
:D