Trim help and lower unit help

jjk1026

Recruit
I have a 1996 Wellcraft 1950SS Eclipse with a mercruiser 4.3L. I just recently purchased this boat and it had been sitting for 3 years. I have gotten everything squared away on the motor but i am having problems with the hydraulic pump leaking fluid at the top of the reservoir. Also, when i go to tilt the lower unit the switch will not actuate but when i put a screwdriver across the top bolts to bypass the solenoid it will work. I am assuming that the solenoids just need to be replaced. Finally, when i tilt the lower unit all the way down i have bluish tint fluid leaking where i put the ear muffs to start it on land. Could the leak just be a seal that needs to be replaced or do you think its just an expansion of too much fluid? Any tips?

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: Trim help and lower unit help

do the trim solenoids click when you press the button??

is the oil in the reservior milky??

the blue lube is gear lube from the drive, leaking seal somewhere - pull the drive, drain the lube and pressure test it to find the bad seal(s)

Oshkosh1

Ensign

I can't speculate on the fluid issue...however the switch issue may simply be a poor/loose/corroded connection. Pull ALL of the wires on the trim unit, clean them up with a wire brush, and use some grease to protect them against corrosion. I had a similar issue...turns out it was a the rocker switch itself. But now I know all is good at the back end too at least...only took and hour or so. There's a good trim unit troubleshooting guide floating around here in the ether...just search for it.

jjk1026

Recruit

The trim solenoids don't click at all when pushed but the oil in the reservoir is milky. I appreciate the help

do the trim solenoids click when you press the button??

is the oil in the reservior milky??

the blue lube is gear lube from the drive, leaking seal somewhere - pull the drive, drain the lube and pressure test it to find the bad seal(s)

dubs283

Vice Admiral

check the three prong connection at the pump, then all other connections

could be a bad switch in the remote handle

milky oil is a sign of water intrusion, check for leaks when you get the electrical figured out

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is a link to download the troubleshooting info for your trim system. It also has the wiring diagram and shows where the different fuses are.
http://www.4shared.com/office/5rKL1iJ8/A1G2_Trim_Troublelshooting.html

Also look at the cap on your trim reservoir. If it is one with a hole in it, they allowed water in if it got on the cap from a leak or rain or whatever.