Pics of clutch dog and forward gear 2001 Johnson 150 - good or bad

eandkatthebeach

Seaman Apprentice
OK - follow on to my earlier posts, I 've got down to the clutch dog and forward gear and removed them, created a photobucket account and posted an open to the public album, can you guys take a look at the pics and let me know if you think I need a new clutch dog or forward gear or both? Background: The engine was kicking above 1400 rpms, like hitting a stump or something, adjusted shift lever to almost all forward gear and it still kicked, so thot it was either clutch dog, or forward gear. Thanks again - especially "boobie" ....:confused:
http://s1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh536/eandkatthebeach/

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Pics of clutch dog and forward gear 2001 Johnson 150 - good or bad

Both look bad. BTW, replacing only one when one "looks OK", often jeopardizes the new part. Seldom is only one bad.

MWG2600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

They both look bad to me also. With new parts and the shifter adjusted right it will stay in gear all day.

eandkatthebeach

Seaman Apprentice

THANK YOU BOTH - This is the first outboard I've ever torn down this far, and appreciate your input very much. When I look on the WEB to buy the forward gear, it always seems to be coupled with the pinion gear. There was very little metal in the gear case and on the magnetic drain screws, and the pinion gear looked pretty good to me, do you think I should replace it(the pinion gear) as well or keep looking for just the forward gear sold separately somewhere(I will replace the clutch dog as welll as the water pump). Thx again....Ed

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The pinion and forward gear always come as a matched set. The only way you'll find a separate single gear would be a good used one but then you are taking a chance of having a mismatch and chancing to luck... the mismatch may last forever but then again.....! Hopefully you'll be one of the lucky ones.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Here is a little known secret place to get a complete set with dog for about $$ of a foward and pinion. I have used em for years and would about bet they are the makers for Sierra gears..
http://www.gearprosinc.com/index.htm

edfishing2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I could use your old ones with a little bit of grinding/milling I think they can be used.

eandkatthebeach

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to ALL for your help and pointers, "edfishing2" = shoot me a note at eandkatthebeach@yahoo.com from your private email account, with clutch dog as the subject so I know it's you and we'll work something out) as I don't think we can solicit on this site and I don't want to lose any priveledges as these guys have been terrific to me on several issues.....