Water pump impeller question

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Today got a call from a friend who pulled a good one last night. He took the drive apart and pulled the impeller out. I think it was a result of a 12 pack and showing off to a girlfriend.<br />He just had the impeller or water pump in the drive replaced in June from the local boat mechanic, so it is fairly new. It was not heating, was causing no problems. He had a seal on the output leaking a few drips of oil, and was replacing the seal. <br />The boat is an older mid to late 70's Imperial, 160hp mercruiser outdrive. Thee older model of drive with the loop on top of the top cover. "R" drive I think is what it would be called. Serial# 2615612 stamped on the drive.<br />Now the problem. He wants me to put the pump back together. Somewhere he found a new seal and gasket, but no new impeller. The one he took out has less than 20 hours on it and looks great. Only problem I am finding, what direction does it go in. <br />The fins are slightly curved. As you hold the plastic pump housing upside down does the curve go clockwise or counterclockwise? <br />Told him to go back to the mechanic and go ahead and replace it, but he still owes for the first one in June. They won't work on it until he pays up. ALso he is cheap and won't spend the $20 for a new one. <br />Any help would be appreciated.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: Water pump impeller question

He should pay the $20 for the new impeller, if he had enough money to afford enough gas to put 20 hours on the boat since June, he can spring for a new impeller. The motor and pump shaft turn clockwise so I would say looking at it upside down, it would be ccw....And I wouldn't do any more work for a deadbeat if I were the mechanic either.......J

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When the impeller is on the shaft and you are ready to put the housing on, the impeller should look like this. And turn the vertical shaft clockwise while installing the pump housing.<br /><br />
Impeller%20curl.png

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks a bunch. I will pass this along, along with advice to both stop taking things apart for no reason and pay his bills so he can have a pro do his repairs.