Johnson Seahorse QD-19 Lower Unit Rebuild Attempt

sgtck72

Cadet
Well guys, I am back and this time I am about to undertake the rebuild of the LU on my QD-19 (1958 i think), after complete failure on getting my granfather's 1952 QD-12 working. I am in the process now of trying to find links or manuals to instructions for doing this rebuild, if anyone has suggestions I welcome them! I had some trouble finding parts for the carb rebuild too...am I going to run into the same problem with the LU rebuild? Thanks in advance guys!

Chris

AlTn

Commander
Re: Johnson Seahorse QD-19 Lower Unit Rebuild Attempt

before going any farther....how much water was in the lower unit when you pulled the drain plug?...does the drive shaft turn smoothly and you are able to engage fwd, neu, and rev.?

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Here are a couple of videos that will give you a very good idea how reseal your lower unit. They are videos of basic 5.5hp and 7.5hp Johnson/Evinrude of mid to late 1950's. Fortunately with the QD19 you will not have to remove your power head to drop the lower unit. (The 5.5hp and 7.5hp motor of that era was required.) Also your motor does not have a shock absorber like the 5.5hp and 7.5hp motors of that time frame.

Again, the video is not your exact motor and lower unit but it gives a good idea how to do it. Gab a beer or two and sit and watch these three episodes.

Episode 30 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA0u62hciwY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Episode 31 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_-ZfbUNT3A&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Episode 32 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_-ZfbUNT3A&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Here is a digital parts breakdown of your motor.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/377512/37751200001.htm

There is a cover plate mid way down the housing above the lower unit. Remove this to access the shift rod connector, so you can remove your lower unit.

Good luck!! Your motor is a favorite on this forum, so you will have a lot experts for help!!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Well Im sorry to hear about the QD12, do you have a running thread on this? Im curious to know what is going on.

To get to your current problem, to start PM me with your email address and I can send you some literature that will help. I dont want to clutter this page with it.

The Lower Unit Rebuild kit is readily available, as is the carb rebuild kit. Im not really sure why you had trouble finding parts? It is a very common item. If you go with OEM parts, there is no "kit" per se. You would have to order the parts individually. SOme of these part numbers will be superseeded but the dealer will know by keying them in. They would be the following:

Prop Shaft Seal 302495
Seal Housing O Ring 302493
Spaghetti Seal 302513
Drive Shaft Seal 41-62
Shift Rod Seal (O Ring) 301877
2 x Drain and Vent Screw Gaskets 27-284
Pivot Pin Washer 304083
1 Tube 3M 847 (Not Available at Dealer)

If you want an aftermarket kit like Sierra all packaged up, this is an example from where I have ordered. This is the kit you need too.

http://www.nymarine.ca/sk5.JPG

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I should also mention that you will need a few "special" tools that you may not have.

One being a seal puller, you can buy this at about any auto parts store for around 10 bucks.

The second is a small punch to punch out the prop shaft seal from the housing through the 2 small holes in the housing.

Third you will either need to make a tool to remove the shift rod seal, or you can purchase one from F_R on this forum, PM him for the details.

You will also need some acetone for cleaning the mating surfaces before applying the 3M

Here is a pic of a typical seal puller

sealpuller.jpg

Here is my tool for removing the shift rod seal

018.jpg

021.jpg

Here is my 3M847. Above it is the shift rod seal (oring) and the seals carrier. DO NOT throw that out, it is not a consumable item and will not be provided in the kit, nor can you buy it.

022.jpg

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, I'm curious about that QD-12, also. Personally, that's the motor I would be rebuilding. :D That one has a much better lower end on it.

sgtck72

Cadet

Well, to answer AITn's questions, I haven't even pulled the drain plug yet. Haven't even put a tool to it yet to get started because I am still waiting to recieve the rebuilt kit I purchased. The drive shaft does turn easily and it does shift to fwd, neu, and rev easily as well.

Regarding the QD-12, it was my grandfather's, but now owned by my Uncle. I was trying to get spark out of it so I could use it on my dad's boat. I replaced virtually every part having anything to do with spark and even had taken to two different O/B motor shops here locally, and even they couldn't get spark out of it. So, I gave it to my dad and told him to get it back to my Uncle for me, I was done with it. And yes, there was an entire thread on it that I had started, but no clue how to link to it or anything.

AlTn

Commander

the reasons I asked those questions is because of an experience I had with a 1959 10 hp. evinrude....a full McDonald's coffee cup of water came out of it and no lu grease, also, the drive shaft would turn about 3/4's of a turn and bind. You sound in much better shape with this one. When you get it dissambled, post back with the amount of play the driveshaft has where it exits the lower exhaust housing. This, as I was educated about by F_R, is the weak link in these lower units.

sgtck72

Cadet

Ok, I know it has been a while since my last post. I have finally gotten around to getting the motor into some water, running it, and seeing what I got. I am going to attempt to attach some pics and a video to see if any of you can tell me what I have got going on with this motor. To start, when running it in a can of water it smoke excessively and I also notice thick and dark motor oil in the water, enough to coat the entire surface of the water. I then let it sit on the motor stand a couple days and the oily mix began to seep out of the pee hole above the pro, as you can see in the pics. I drained the gearcase and there looked like very minor appearance of some water seperation, but no real discoloration of the gearcase oil. I then took the LU off of the UU and took pics of what I found. There was a puddle of dark, gooey, and grey fluid puddled all around the water pump. I also noticed the UU showed evidence of the dirty looking motor oil substance all over everything. I can't nearly describe it as well as the pics can show it.

I guess what I nned to know is: 1.) What causes the seepage from the pee hole? 2.) What is it that is seeping from the pee hole and puddled all around the water pump? 3.) What the hell is wrong with this motor, as evidenced by the pics? 4.) Is it a power head gasket leak or water pump leak? And lastly, how do I fix this??? Thanks for the help in advance! I already have the water pump seal kit and the LU kit, but do not want to spend anymore money on parts or kits until I know for sure what the problem is. Here are the pics and video:

iphone 114.jpgiphone 120.jpgiphone 126.jpgiphone 127.jpgiphone 128.jpg

AlTn

Commander

all is good!..proceed as planned....parts cleaning is expected, but everything looks very good to me....old 2 strokes tend to accumulate unburned fuel/oil mix then it gets diluted with new mix , thins, and drains. Really everything is good and the resealing will help keep the lu water free. Marineengine.com has diagrams of assemblies if the need arises.

kfa4303

Banned

+1. All of the smoke and oil is normal and greatly exaggerated in a test tank. When you're on the open water, running 24:1 mix it should smoke less. The oil is really just unburnt fuel that gets expelled with the exhaust gas and cooling water. As long as it pumps water, shifts crisply under load, and water is not entering the LU you're good to go. Here are some other QDs running in tanks and on the water to give you an idea of what to expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0FzLaa2ZDI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL9iiT3ltSQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG0M72aAs_E

sgtck72

Cadet

So now I need some help on finding the bushing and o-ring that go into the bearing housing of the water pump. They are items number 21 & 22 in the QD-19 parts manual (303332 & 301877). So far so good with everything else though. Also, in the kit #18-3402 there are two seals (or bearings), and I am wondering if I am supposed to use them both, or just one or the other? Thanks guys! Your guidance thus far hass helped tremendously!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

#21 is the shift rod bushing, it is a non consumable item and gets reused. The shift rod o ring (#22) will be in the reseal kit.

Im not sure what 2 seals you are referring to in the Sierra kit. A little more detail would help.

kfa4303

Banned

I recenetly got a Sierra reseal kit for my '66 20 hp and it came with 2 propshaft and 2 driveshaft seals even though you can only use one at a time. It's not uncommon for the kits to have other unused parts that may/may not apply to your particular model. See the 3rd pic in High Trims previous post to see the shift rod bushing and o-ring.

sgtck72

Cadet

Johnson Seahorse 003.jpgJohnson Seahorse 004.jpgThanks guys! I believe I am now ready to put her back together. I can't find any instructions on which way the seal is supposed to face when pressed into the bearing housing, and if there is supposed to be any sealant used to mount it into the housing. See the attached pics...I am not sure which way the seal should be facing. One side is open and the opposite side is closed...which one faces out once pressed into the housing? Any guidance there would be appreciated! Also, when looking at the impellar cup, should the fins bend to the right or left? Lastly, regarding Hypoid oil, SAE 85W90 Gear Oil is all I could find. Is this going to be ok for me to use for refilling the gearcase? Thanks again guys! This forum has been a HUGE help throughout!

Last edited:

kfa4303

Banned

Hi sgtck72. Glad you're making progress. The seals should be tapped into place with the solid face outward as in your second pic. I usually use a socket that is slightly smaller than the seal to tap it evenly into place evenly. 3M 847 sealant is the factory recommended sealant and should be applied to the spaghetti seal and around the perimeter of the seals themselves, but you usually have to order it and it's kid of pricey. Some folks use other products such as Permatex 1000 or Permatex Aviation gasket sealant among others.
The driveshaft on the motor only ever spins clockwise. As it does so, the impeller is spun and the fins lag behind slightly. See pic below for the correct fins orientation when viewed in the housing.
I would try to find some 80-90w outboard gear oil. I'm not sure if the oil you have will work, but someone will let you know for sure. Here's a pic of the correct oil. There are lots of brands. Wal-mart should carry it. I just got a quart the other day from there for about $5.

impeller.jpglower unit oil.jpg

sgtck72

Cadet

Well guys, thanks for all the help!!! I can't express how great it was to have this resource available to help me through this project! Here she is:

http://youtu.be/l515ihFUKGE

kfa4303

Banned

AWESOME Sgt! Now that is a thing of beauty. I LOOOOOOVE the reverse two tone paint job on the '58 models. I'll be over to steal your motor shortly :) Dang, that thing is a chick magnet and it's gonna take you half an hour just to launch because of all the smiles and questions you're gonna get at the dock with that little screamer. Happy boating! Vroom-vroom!

P.S.
Let us know when you're ready for a 20 hp ;) You fix them the exact same way!