Tight steering????

pjbass

Cadet
I'm trying to get ready for the 2012 boating season and I've been having problems with steering when I upgrade my outboard to Johnson 175 hp. I've unbolted the steering cables to the motor and noticed it was still tight turning the wheel. The history of this boat is that it has been a project boat and the cables seem very new (Teleflex 15' Dual Rack). I noticed back in the transcom where the cable connects, the cables has slight bend as it turns into the boat, up to the steering wheel. I investigated on the Teleflex website how to measure the cable size and I got 15' 6" for length.

Is it possible that the cables is too short?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Tight steering????

Check to see what the min. bend radius is for your steering stuff. To tight a bend will make it bind.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The dual cable setups are great for high performance engines, typically 150 hp and up. When these dual cables are adjusted, there is a specific point of adjustment which must be achieved to function to your satisfaction as you setup that system. You can easily tell when the steering is too loose-there is slack in the cables before the engine moves. Conversely, if the steering cables are adjusted too tightly-they will create internal binding at the gearbox under the dash and can absolutely make the steering seem tight. Dual cables will normally work against each other in order to insure there is no slack in the system. The trick is to adjust the slack out, but not to the point that the steering starts to get stiff. The cables should be re-adjusted for your new engine.

pjbass

Cadet

Thanks for replying. I have notice some play in the wheel but it is still tight turning the wheel. To adjust. is it the threaded rod where the steering cable slides into on the tilt tube?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Before you do your final slack adjusting at the stern of the boat, you may want to evaluate both of the cables. Possible one or both may be defective. Not unsual for the inner cable to fray and begin to catch on the outer casing, causing hard steering on one or both cables. You can do some tests. 1. remove the link arm to the engine. The engine should easily move side to side if you move it by hand. 2. disconnect one of the two steering cables from the gearbox under the dash at the helm. Turn the wheel. Determine if that cable is moving freely. 3. Replace the first cable and disconnect the other cable. Repeat turning the steering wheel. If everything moves, turns very easily, then it's just an adjustment problem. If either cables (or both) turn hard with the engine disconnected, you may need to replace the cables. 4. Also, make sure the one cable end that protrudes through the engine's tilt tube is not hanging up due to salt, corrosion.

pjbass

Cadet

Thanks for all your help. I did disconnect steering cable from the engine and found that the steering is still too tight. So, if I had to replace the cables, should I get 15 foot or 16 foot if my measurement is 15' 6"?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You need to be careful how you measure the length of the cables. There is an exact measurement diagram as shown in many marine parts catalogs as to just where to measure. To make sure you get the exact replacement, check for a part number on the cable. The original cables may have a part number stamped on the side of the black outer casing. Usually about a foot from the end of each cable. A marine shop may be able to cross reference that part number to the current 2012 part number. Take one of the old cables in with you when you order and pick up the new cables. Not only is the length an issue, but the configurations of the gear jaws on the rack change over time also.