Spraying Fiberglass

AATA

Cadet
I'm planning to restore my rigid inflatable (only 10') and plan to paint the fiberglass and then paint the inflatable section. Since it's small and easy to mask, I was planning to spray the fiberglass with a spray gun (like what's used on cars). After reading a lot of the paint sites and how-to's, it seems like they all recommend a brush or roller. I was curious if anyone here has used a sprayer and how it turned out? I have experience painting cars, but not boats. The inflatable section will be brushed on.

I am also looking for recommendations on which paint to use. The RIB won't stay in the water, so I'm mainly looking for a good durable finish that is easy to apply with a sprayer, unless recommended against. Not looking for a brand, but rather which type of paint. There seems to be a lot of different types for boats, so it's a little confusing. I would like to buy one paint for the top and bottom.

Thank you!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Spraying Fiberglass

Welcome AATA,

I don't know squat aboat RIBs, other than the fact that they are pretty cool and the Navy SEALS have used them...

As far as painting the flexible rubber parts, I don't know, but there are paints available for that kind of stuff...you might want to contact the manufacturer of your craft and see what if anything they recommend...

As far as spraying the fiberglass parts... just do a search through the forum, lots of guys here have done it and described the way they did it...

Good Luck,
GT1M

AATA

Cadet

I'm planning to restore my rigid inflatable (only 10') and plan to paint the fiberglass and then paint the inflatable section. Since it's small and easy to mask, I was planning to spray the fiberglass with a spray gun (like what's used on cars). After reading a lot of the paint sites and how-to's, it seems like they all recommend a brush or roller. I was curious if anyone here has used a sprayer and how it turned out? I have experience painting cars, but not boats. The inflatable section will be brushed on.

I am also looking for recommendations on which paint to use. The RIB won't stay in the water, so I'm mainly looking for a good durable finish that is easy to apply with a sprayer, unless recommended against. Not looking for a brand, but rather which type of paint. There seems to be a lot of different types for boats, so it's a little confusing. I would like to buy one paint for the top and bottom.

Thank you!

I'm leaning towards the Interlux Brightside, but not sure what color is close to most white boats. They have multiple colors of white. what color would be closest to a factory Rigid Inflatable with a white hull.

thank you!

Bondo

Staff member

I'm leaning towards the Interlux Brightside, but not sure what color is close to most white boats. They have multiple colors of white. what color would be closest to a factory Rigid Inflatable with a white hull.

thank you!

Ayuh,... The Hard hull, or the Rubber part,..??

Just pick a color white,... Once ya paint it, it don't matter what shade it used to be...

Btw,... Sprayin' resin, usually don't work so well...