Boat measurement

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anybody know exactly how they measure boats now? I had a person tell me they changed how they measure boat length in the mid 90's. He said the old days they measured the first seating position to the last seating position and now they measure from tip to the very back?? Anyone else heard this or something like this? Long story short my 1989 19 foot boat tied up to a 2005 21 foot boat is obviously longer. The 2005 is a little wider.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Boat measurement

Ayuh,... Boats have always been measured from Stem, to Stern,... Plus any manufacturer's fudgin'...

shrew

Lieutenant

I've never heard the 'seating position' method of measurement. Measurements vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and from year to year. Mostly in regards to model numbering. Some were done LWL, some were done LOA. Some were done LOA, minus bow pulpit and swim platform. Mine is a model named 2800. It is billed as a 28ft. boat. LOA is closer to 30ft. Same maunfacturer years later calls it a 29.

Rule of thumb. I call the boat what the model designation on the side is. ESPECIALLY when filling out forms for winter storage and transient slips that charge by the foot. However, If I were to be measuring for a trailer or a boat lift, it would be tape end to end (LOA).

tpenfield

Staff member

Boats used to be measured with a tape measure, but now they use laser beams !!! :D

Early 1990's boat manufacturers integrated swim platforms into the hull. Then all bets were off on the boat length and suddenly to get a 24 foot boat, you had to be looking at a 26 foot boat.

Stem to stern, as previously stated, was the traditional method and still holds true. The issue is the extra stuff that is not included in the length. Things that are 'detachable' are not included in the 'stem to stern' length.

so, to your point . . . my 1991 formula 242 (24 foot) boat has a stem to stern length of 24'2" and an overall length of 26'0" with the swim platform, (which comes as standard equipment). you put that next to a 1993 formula 252 (25 foot boat) that has the integrated swim platform, and my boat is 1 foot longer.

tylermcclintock

Seaman Apprentice

He said the old days they measured the first seating position to the last seating position and now they measure from tip to the very back?? QUOTE]

If they only measured based on seating positions my 24 footer would only be about a 6 footer lol. Definately Stem to Stern and like others were saying some include integrated platforms.

Philster

Captain

Hull length and LOA are the two ways to measure, and tpenfield covered it pretty well. Integrated swim platforms and integrated bow pulpits slightly confuse the issue, so one can always measure the hull, bow to stern (transom specifically).

Marinas that charge by the foot love to measure pulpit to end of swim platform, where applicable.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

when I was shopping around a couple years ago I noticed that the same hull might or might not have a bow pulpit, and I asked if it counted? the answer was that it shouldn't, but some boat sellers did anyway--to sell a 19' as a 20' "cheap." So if you are looknig at one with a pulpit, confirm the length without regard to the pulpit.

As for measuring from seat to seat, I don't believe anyone ever did that. Someone was pulling your anchor chain.

cyclops2

Banned

My 2002 Chaparral is a 186 SSI. The 186 is supposed to be the useable water line length. Does not include the very pointy V bow portion. According to the sales specification. I never checked one. They got the V8 speed right at 50.

You need to carry a long enough tape to figure out what YOU are buying.

tpenfield

Staff member

If you go to the Chappy web site the SSI 186 has an overall length of 19'6". They do not publish a water line length, cuz that is only relevant for sailboats (displacement hulls) . . . but it is probably about 16' or so, based on the profile of the boat.

cr2k

Captain

Also depends on What you need the measurement for. Some storage places and gated communities with lakes drop a plumb bob off both ends and that is the measurement they use. Also aren't some model numbers included in there like a 185 may not be 18.5 feet but 18 foot and a model 5 hull. Boat length measurements sure aren't standard anymore and seem to vary by what the Mfg. wants to tell you.

L.A.Wise

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like all of you are wet. LOL. Seriously, the only way to tell is via the title. Whatever that document says it is, it is.

tpenfield

Staff member

Sounds like all of you are wet. LOL. Seriously, the only way to tell is via the title. Whatever that document says it is, it is.

But the title on my 24 foot boat says it is 42 feet . . . :p