2 stroke oil

badfish888

Seaman Apprentice
what do you guys use for your mercs/mariners. Ive always used quicksilver premium plus, but certain brands (walmart stuff) is as low as 12.99 a gallon here.

i know a few dollars isnt worth worrying if i dont have to but when you burn almost 2 gallons a week, on top of a 100 gallon fuel tank it adds up.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2 stroke oil

If it says TCW-3 or TCW-III on the label and that's what is specified for your engine it will work fine. Semi-synthetic and full-synthetic oils smoke less but don't necessarily extend engine life any more than regular oil. Use of carbon guard or other similar additives for this purpose will do the cleaning that synthetic oils claim they do.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I use the Wally World stuff.
It's fine.
The older oils even the supposedly GOOD oils were made to carbon up and cook your motor.
The oils before TCW-3 were bad for your motor.
Anything new is OK.
Just make sure that you use stuff to combat the Ethanol/alcohol if you let it set for a while.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I've been using the WallyWorld oil for 20 years in a Yamaha oil injection and in my 1990 Sea Doo. Last time I had the head off the Sea Doo, the engine was as clean as could be.

I also had a hot rod Sea Doo with the power valve and single ring. It's like a motocross cycle engine, and requires a full synthetic oil.

But, if my 2 stroke engine was still in warranty, I would be using that manufacturer's oil until the warranty expires. It's just such a hassle to argue with the service dept. over the color of the oil in your oil injection tank.

N3UP

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Last season I used the West Marine store brand, about 2 gallons of Pennzoil synthetic that my neighbor gave me since he has a 4S now, and wally world oil.
I also use Startron and Ring Free. Plugs looked great at the end of the season.

I'm heading over to wally world tomorrow, they still have 4 gallons of their oil on the shelf for $12.99.
Gonna see how much I can find before they up the price for next season.

The west marine oil was going on sale for $21.99 soon.......

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I'll have to give the WM Tech TCW-3 in the blue jug another vote, I've been using it fo years. Years ago it was made by Pennzoil, don't know who makes it now.

johnson89

Petty Officer 1st Class

all of wally worlds goods are the same as the name brand.I have been using it for the past 20 years,,,,55 hp nissan,225 everude,140 johnson..and now a 90 johnson......all that is diffrent is the label....I work for a milk company an we make milk for WW,we don't change anything but the lable on the jug...I still have 9 gallons of WW oil I bought a few years back when it was 5.50 a gallon....just make sure the oil type is for your motor

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The older oils even the supposedly GOOD oils were made to carbon up and cook your motor.
The oils before TCW-3 were bad for your motor.

I have a 57 year old motor that was bought brand spanking new and broken in on 30w automobile engine oil. When "outboard oil" came on the market we wouldn't use it because it was double the price. I guess all the bad oil I bought wasn't so bad after all!

Back in the day the only "bad" oils were the ones made for cars that were oil burners - they had a wax compund in the formula. THAT is what bothered 2-strokes.

The only advantage of TCW-3 or its predecessors is that the oil disperses better in the gas. Thats needed when you go higher in the oil to gas ratio.

Lots of old motors still running that never used TCW3 when they were new.

cyclops2

Banned

My only complaint is that after 4 or 9 days in hot N Y summers. The oil DEFINATELY starts to seperate from the gasoline.

After several days the first 20 seconds are HEAVY oil smoke. Then fine for the rest of the day. TC-3 or not.
Had some Quicksilver O B oil given to me by a friend. Stuff NEVER smoked.
I idle the engine dry & just fill the tanks with 4 gallons & shake after several days of non use. No smoke then.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I have never seen oil seperate from gasoline. I have never heard of that before. Can you post some pictures?

The oil JimS was using in '57 was SAE-30 non detergent motor oil. The detergents in multi-weight and even in SAE-30 detergent oil can really foul up a 2 cycle engine.

cyclops2

Banned

Chris

I wonder if the high heat buildup under the dark blue Evinrude cover was causing the gasoline part to evaporate off ??
The cover can get so hot it hurts to touch it.

Think it could be??

cyclops2

Banned

Chris

I just remembered. In August . Everytime I get down to the last pint or so in the 6 gallon tank. The idleing exhaust starts to stay smokey. Warns me to change tanks.

Ever see 1 of those red plastic Moller 6 gallons tanks turn into a football if sealed in direct sunlight ? SCARY looking piece of crap ready to roll around if the cap is not vented. How the hell the USCG approved that garbage is beyond me.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Obviously the gasoline in the fuel mix will evaporate, leaving behind a heavier oil mix. This will cause extra smoke. If you use the tank up in a week or so, the mix will be pretty close to the original ratio. Letting it sit longer will give the lower gas-oil ratio and cause more smoke.

The temp under the cowling can cause the gasoline to evaporate. I have never seen a case of vapor lock, but I would think it is certainely possible. However, as long as the boat is moving, I think it would stay cool enough to minimize any of that.

cyclops2

Banned

I have never had a vapor lock on the 9.9 baking in the sun. The fuel line in the engine is a steady upward angle to the carburator. Starts on a 1/4 pull, all weathers.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Heat soak can cause hard starting and sort of a vapor lock and it isn't that uncommon on some motors. When you shut the motor off many parts of the motor become warmer as the heat from the combustion area migrates through the block, This can evaporate the gas portion of the fuel in the float bowls, so when you go to start it again there is no fuel in the carb and it takes a little longer to get it running again. This can leave oil in the float bowl and any other areas where the gas evaporates from, so on start up you may see more smoke for minute or two. If you are running the motor there should be no reason for it to smoke more near the bottom of the tank, all fuel in the tank will be at the same ratio due to the constant mixing as the boat is under way. It would take a significant amount of time (more than a few weeks) for the oil ratio to change in any meaning full amount in a tank due to evaporation.

strokersquid

Petty Officer 3rd Class

TCW-3 is designed with detergents to keep the engine cleaner than previous oils. Some higher grade oils are API-tc grade, which breaks down less at high temps, being designed for air cooled engines. Both are far better than old oils. 2 stroke oil has to 1) mix with gas, 2) lubricate, and 3) burn and in that order. 4st only lubricates well. It is not designed to burn or it would denature at high temps. It is not designed to mix with gas.

cyclops2

Banned

Correct me if I am wrong.

A engine shutdown & or,hard restart, is due to a vapor lock .......IN A CARBURATOR ENGINE...... only can occur due to the simmering / boiling of the gasoline ....SOMEWHERE .....in the fuel system.

Working backwards from the carburator. I can REALLY get HOT on the top & center of the engine.... But the fuel pump & ...WIDE OPEN FLOAT NEEDLE... WILL allow cool fresh flow of fuel to keep pouring in fuel.
Fuel line to the carb same thing will occur.
Now the fuel pump on the engine block is a VERY DIFFERENT condition. If the pump body gets overheated it will create a ...COMPLETELY dry condition so that there is only gasoline fumes boiling awayin the pump chambers. WILL TAKE A LONG TIME TO PUMP VAPORS out & cool the pump & a few inches of hot incoming fuel line.
That is why almost all Carburator engines went the ......FUEL PUMP SUBMERGED IN THE GASOLINE TANK. FUEL / vapor locking is ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE.

Have to leave.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

The fuel pump in the gas tank is used for fuel injection motors. The submerged electric pumps run cooler, and since FI motors recirculate fuel back to the fuel tank, it makes the plumbing simpler. On an OB, the fuel pump is run off crankcase vacuum, moving it to the fuel tank is a complicated matter, and unnecesary.