epoxy-wood flour-cabosil

lighter, weaker but strong enough, cheaper

Run your wood kerf dust through a flour seive and you're done

Dino

dinoa

Recruit
Re: whats good to do fillets with

You can also use epoxy-cotton flox-cabosil

Leave out the cabosil and mix to peanut butter consistency and you have a fine adhesive for joining composite panels.

Dino

CaptainKickback

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The pl premium is a subfloor construction adhesive. Most people that are using it use it as a bedding compund for their stringers and bulkheads. You may get a small bead hanging outsude the joint, but I haven't heard of anyone using it as fillet material. They use some form of resin PB.

Most will say the fillet is just to make the fg tabbing lay in better, so resin/epoxy withe some thickener woul work. However, my feeling is why not let the fillet help absorb the stresses. So I make it more structural with fg strands. But, its a personal choice.

Anyway, I don't see that cabosil is very expensive, unless you're looking for free.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

I have epoxy milled fibers and cabosil I would just like to have more options

What is the application ? Deck/Stringers/trans/bulks

I would tend to stay away from using Epoxy or 'adhesives' in a full re/build. Here and there .. Yes you can use different products for patching or Helping in your patches .. I personally dont.. but it can be done successfully.

Just me though..

YD.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

panama, once you start down the dark path of epoxy, you can never return.

the link to structural peanut butter,,,,,,(thickened structural fiberglass poly resin) is in the link in my sig,

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Baked potato and a salad?....

LMAO...I was thinking maybe some homemade coleslaw and some home fries...Sorry, its Friday and I couldn't help myself...

On a serious note, oops! and YD will get you goin the right way...

I am getting close to this step myself and after a coat of resin and a layer of CSM+1708 on the stringers, I am leaning towards bedding my stringers with either the PB or the PL...from what I have read on this forum, both seem to work very well...
As for my Transom, I laminated two 3/4" sheets of MG ply with Titebond 3, waterproof glue to create my 1-1/2 inch thick transom plate...that will then get the same treatment as the stringers, resin soak+ layer of CSM+1708, then a layer of PB between the hull and wood to attach...after that everything will be tabbed in...

Best Regards,
GT1M

PS- PB is the recommended stuff for fillets...it adds a margin of strength and it helps the tabbing in of the parts by forming a smooth transition between the stringers/transom and the hull...

panamacitymustang

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I understand once I go to the darkside epoxy I can't go back I already bought some epoxy glass milled fiber and cabosil

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

I don't want to speak out of turn, and I am sure YD or oops! will set me straight, but I think the products you bought can work with poly also...or if they are unopened, you might be able to return them...