25 hp 4 stroke on 16ft SS

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK looking to get this on the water. Its not a drag boat or a ski boat. Its a floating platform that I can fish from ASAP anyday any time.

I see newer 16 ft alum boats like trackers and lowe boats running 25hp motors that have similar hull configurations and weights. They seem to scoot around ok with 2 adults and 2 kids. So why does everybody push for bigger motors like 50-75 hp motors?

Will a 25 HP 4 stroke work? I know its not going to be a rocket but when I go fishing Im in no hurry to get anywhere. 20 25 mph is fine for me. I troll and chase the birds on the lake.

thanks

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 25 hp 4 stroke on 16ft SS

For what you want, 25 would do just fine.

Go fast? Ski? Nope, but that's not what you are looking for.

InMotion

Commander

OK looking to get this on the water. Its not a drag boat or a ski boat. Its a floating platform that I can fish from ASAP anyday any time.

I see newer 16 ft alum boats like trackers and lowe boats running 25hp motors that have similar hull configurations and weights. They seem to scoot around ok with 2 adults and 2 kids. So why does everybody push for bigger motors like 50-75 hp motors?

Will a 25 HP 4 stroke work? I know its not going to be a rocket but when I go fishing Im in no hurry to get anywhere. 20 25 mph is fine for me. I troll and chase the birds on the lake.

thanks

No doubt, if you are just looking to putt around then it will serve the purpose. If you are looking to cover distance in a reasonable time, ski, carry 4 adults on plane --- not gonna happen. We also have a 14' Starcraft with a 1960's 10hp. It's fine to go put around in. But take it out in the bigger lakes --- No thanks. It isn't the lake waves that concern Mrs Motion or myself --- it's the BIG boats that put out BIG waves!!! So for us, we wanted a little bit bigger boat that allows us to fish, ski, take a bunch of people and cruise the bigger lakes without having the motor straining and making a bunch of noise to accomplish this. When we want to go quietly, we use a our canoe... our choice.

It really comes down to what you want... I think if that is what you want to do then go for it! :)

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes its a fishing boat. Wife wont ski behind an outboard or and I/O she wants either the 60k wake board boat or one of those seadoo / yamaha jet boat things.

Im sure there would never be more that 3 adults in the boat. Casting 7 ft rods is crazy enough with 2 adults. It realy would be for the kids and I to go fishing. As for being on a big lake. Not going to happen I live in North TX we dont have BIG WATER like you got up north.

barato2

Commander

my take would be to try it and see....that motor is light enough to hang or remove by yourself and is of a size that has a decent market for resale. a modern 25hp, rated at the prop, is roughly equiv to an early-60s 35-40hp rated at the crankshaft, and these used to be common sizes for 14-16' tinnies

Rayzor

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For a just fishing boat I think you will be fine. I am saving my pennies for a 40hp myself as I just fish as well. I am in the middle of putting an 80hp on back of my 16ft ss as we speak. But not what I wanted.

Rockmere1

Seaman

Yes its a fishing boat. Wife wont ski behind an outboard or and I/O she wants either the 60k wake board boat or one of those seadoo / yamaha jet boat things

Thats A Bummer, I Have Had Many Summers Of Fun Behind A Johnson Outboard, but on the other hand i agree with the everyone a twenty five would push that boat just fine for what you want to do

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

I had a 20hp 2 stroke on my 15ft jet

It went allright, on large lakes it was slow and steady.

With you and your wife on there I think it will get on a plane, but it may take a minute to get up to speed.

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im wanting a 50 hp yamaha but having trouble justifying the cost to the wife. I got to admit they aint cheap and to spend that kind of money on a 40yr old boat is a little hard to swallow.

If I got the 25 hp route would a High Thrust motor be better than a standard gearcase?

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

If you can do it, get the 50.

40 year old boat is fine, the way look at it as long as it's tin, its no big deal to keep the boat going.

Floors and transoms rot, but in a tin boat it's a weekend or three and some plywood.

I looked at a new Etec 90hp this weekend at the boat show, almost 10k!

I'm happy with my bottom feeder life & a garage full of old mercs.. :D

InMotion

Commander

Im wanting a 50 hp yamaha but having trouble justifying the cost to the wife. I got to admit they aint cheap and to spend that kind of money on a 40yr old boat is a little hard to swallow.

If I got the 25 hp route would a High Thrust motor be better than a standard gearcase?

And even if you decide down the road to get another tin boat :facepalm: ... you can always move the 50 to it and put another perhaps older motor on your current 40 yr old boat!! Gibbles is also correct --- it's a tin boat. It'll be good for another 40 if taken care of. Replace the parts that rot... and it'll look as good as new. Also check out the gently used 4 stroke motor... u might be surprised $$$ wise -- could be as much as 1/2 price for a few year old motor.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

IM covers it well

I don't think you will ever be happy with that 25, sure it will work, but you will end up wishing it had more power.

50hp is a good all around motor IMO

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

also have to remember the 4 stroke motor is VERY heavy. so if you do get one be sure the transom is secure and will hold the weight of the motor. I can hardly lift my 9.9 4 stroke Merc.

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

weight was my main concern. Im keeping it under 300 lbs. My logic is the boat is rated for an 85hp motor. I looked up the specs for 85 hp mercs and OMC with TNT. They where all around 325#'s in the early 70's

Price weight warranty and HP are the three things im looking at. Not exactly in that order

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 55 hp Johnson on my river boat a 16 ft Glastron about the same weight as a 16 starcraft. It move the boat quickly and about 35 mph WOT. I have a 12 ft aluminum smokercraft on my lake boat in Idaho and with a 6 hp it will (empty) really scoot. I'v seen a lot of boats your size in the Skagit River with 25 -30 hp motors and they move right along, even up stream with two people and gear, Guess its like you say go with what you can affodd and change later if thats what you feel you will need . Safe boating Pugetsound