455 engine stalling

Choppie

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 455 olds with an American turbine jet. I have redone the valves, cleaned the heads, replaced all gaskets, replaced fuel lines, fuel pump, and checked the engine for cracks and there are none. With that said, when I take the boat out, after about a half an hour the boat begins to bog down and stall. I have to sit for about 5 minutes before I can start it again and go.
If I keep it at a very low speed, it will go then stall again in a not 10 minutes of use. If I accelerate to half it will bog down and stall immediately. I have put 2k in the engine already! I don't think it's running hot, the water temp is running 120 to 140, if the temp gauge works? Any ideas on what it may be? Thanks for your help! I really want to get on the water again

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: 455 engine stalling

Hows the spark looking when the engine has stalled? May be worth taking a spark tester with you if you haven't verified this. What about the condition of your carb and filters? How much have you done with those? Are you able to see a squirt of fuel pumping into the venturis of the carb when you make the accelerator pump work (either before or after the stall)? How do your spark plugs read?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

^^+1, sounds like you have a coil going south.

Choppie

Seaman Apprentice

^^+1, sounds like you have a coil going south.

I may just take it back to the shop. I have 2 separate tanks so I am going to try running the other tank. It had some bad gas in the tank I don't use, so I will drain the old gas and see if the other side runs the same.
The last time I took it out it just seemed that it didn't want to open up either. It didn't go past 2600 rpms at wot

Bondo

Staff member

I may just take it back to the shop. I have 2 separate tanks so I am going to try running the other tank. It had some bad gas in the tank I don't use, so I will drain the old gas and see if the other side runs the same.
The last time I took it out it just seemed that it didn't want to open up either. It didn't go past 2600 rpms at wot

Ayuh,.... Run it on a remote, removable tank, with fresh gas....

I think yer fuel system is boogered up, 'n it's tryin' to run, Lean...

120_i/o

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Choppie, A simple flow test of the fuel pump, and fuel filter maybe in order. It wont cost you a dime to try it either! Hope this helps?