Lift boat from trailer for bunk repair

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1998 Searay 180 that is on a Shorelander trailer. I knew at the end of the season that the brackets on the bunk boards were getting thin, but now one of the brackets has pretty much gave out and the bunk board is sitting on top of the mount. I don't think it's a good idea for me to drive it to a launch to get the boat off to change out the bunk. Currently the one bunk is just sitting about an inch and a half lower then it should be (on the mount). I now plan to jack the boat up one side at a time and swap out the bunk for new one's I've made, carpeted, and put new hardware on. Question is where the best spot to jack the boat up at ? I know the stringers are the strongest points, but not sure where they are ?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Lift boat from trailer for bunk repair

the keel would be ideal... you can easily strap the side down that you aren't working on BUT make sure you block the side you are working on to the trailer frame so that it can't possibly fall on you. It's a fairly small boat but perched on your hand it might as well be the titanic.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

If you DO jack it up put a piece of wood between the jack pad and the hull/

Actually you COULD just securely block the boat against the trailer and head for the boat ramp if you'd rather.

Thalasso

Commander

I have a 1998 Searay 180 that is on a Shorelander trailer. I knew at the end of the season that the brackets on the bunk boards were getting thin, but now one of the brackets has pretty much gave out and the bunk board is sitting on top of the mount. I don't think it's a good idea for me to drive it to a launch to get the boat off to change out the bunk. Currently the one bunk is just sitting about an inch and a half lower then it should be (on the mount). I now plan to jack the boat up one side at a time and swap out the bunk for new one's I've made, carpeted, and put new hardware on. Question is where the best spot to jack the boat up at ? I know the stringers are the strongest points, but not sure where they are ?

Jack the trailer up on the side you want to fix. Block the boat up on the keel and a couple 4x4's to the chine. Let trailer down.

lil buggy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Jack the trailer up on the side you want to fix. Block the boat up on the keel and a couple 4x4's to the chine. Let trailer down.

great idea and easy too
thats my vote

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class

SEARAY.jpg

I had an idea, not sure if it's only a "good" idea to me, but here it is. Seems to be easy and safe, not sure if that part of the hull is strong enough. Thought is to place a 2x6 about 4 ft long or so on area with red line, place a scissor jack at each end of board on top of frame rail and jack up the side and replace bunk, then do other side. Is the hull strong enough there ? Any stringers there ? Thanks for the info so far guys.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

the hull is PLENTY strong there and about anywhere else but if you jack between that spot and the frame the boat will be VERY likely to slide toward that side and fall on you..... jack it under the keel.

I wouldn't use a scissor jack either... a floor jack would be MUCH more stable.

Cheetah 210es

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 on the floor jack. Also I'd be careful with the heels on there. :)

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I've fixed many bunks exactly like this... No need to remove the boat, just jack it up slightly, get some supports under, and then drop the air on the tire on the side you are working on. (gives you a little more room.)

Two things to keep in mind though, the trailer needs to be hooked up to a vehicle for stability, and keep your fingers out of any pinch points! If you don't have your hands where they shouldn't be, there is no risk to you even if murphy gives your boat a swift kick.

Jmunk

Petty Officer 1st Class

This sounds be to very simple and safe. I guess in my head at first I had the idea that the boat would want to rock left to right with just supports under the keel, but I guess the other bunk is balancing it as well. Would it be a good idea to loosen the transom straps a inch or two so they will help to keep the stern from going left to right? Two supports under the keel be sufficient ? Should I cut V's in the keel supports to contour the hull or is flat 2x6 good enough ?

Thalasso

Commander

This sounds be to very simple and safe. I guess in my head at first I had the idea that the boat would want to rock left to right with just supports under the keel, but I guess the other bunk is balancing it as well. Would it be a good idea to loosen the transom straps a inch or two so they will help to keep the stern from going left to right? Two supports under the keel be sufficient ? Should I cut V's in the keel supports to contour the hull or is flat 2x6 good enough ?

No need for v's on keel blocks.Use concrete blocks with a peice of wood between the block and keel. I suggest cutting angles on the 4x4's. I lifted a 11000 lb boat this way to paint the bottom. Take the transom straps off and loosen the bow winch.If it makes you feel more secure you can block the boat between the trailer frame and hull and still get the bunks out.