Bass Tracker - Need new foam spray - and what is the purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstiene

Seaman Apprentice
Hello.

I am restoring updating a 1989 Bass tracker I bought. I just installed some horizontal rod holders under the front deck, which required me to cut some insulation out where I installed 4 pvc pipes, where the rods slide into. I need to replace the foam insulation with a spray. I was wondering what is the correct product to use for a boat, and where to get it at a good price. Also, what is the purpose of hte insulation in the front of my boat?

Thanks!
Joe

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bass Tracker - Need new foam spray - and what is the purpose?

Joe,
It is not insulation. It is for Floatation. If you did not remove more than a 5 gal buckets worth of the stuff, I wouldn't worry about it.

jstiene

Seaman Apprentice

Well I would say I removed a little more than a 5gl bucket. I filled up a small garbage bag with the stuff. I also wanted to replace it becuase I was going to replace it which will also hold the 4 PVC pipes in place. I thought I would spray the stuff in which will hold the pvc in place. Is there a specific product I should buy, or is a waterproof spray insulation ok?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Its called pour-in foam. It's a two part mix. You can buy it and do it your self or if you know a home builder you could get it sprayed in possibly. This will show you how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxXgdInnpLw

It is really amazing how much this stuff expands.

scubby

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Joe. I have an 85' Tracker I am in the middle of restoring. I have taken the boat completely down to the hull and rebuilding it from there up. I would love to see some pictures of your boat when you are done. Good luck with the project.

jstiene

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Joe. I have an 85' Tracker I am in the middle of restoring. I have taken the boat completely down to the hull and rebuilding it from there up. I would love to see some pictures of your boat when you are done. Good luck with the project.

Hi Scubby

I will get some pictures taken this weekend of my rod holder project. I got some ideas from the new bass trackers at BassPro and ordered the flex rod holders from Tracker Marine. I will be able to put my 7" one piece rods in these.

jstiene

Seaman Apprentice

Is this a place that carries this Aeromarine product or can I only get it direct from the manufacturers website?

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Two part pour in foam to my understanding is not water proof but is water resistant and with time will break down and let water in. So if you use it and it will be exposed you might want to paint it.

Two part pour in foam to my understanding is not water proof but is water resistant and with time will break down and let water in. So if you use it and it will be exposed you might want to paint it.

Anything will absorb water if it is left standing in it. Sometimes painting or glassing is an option, sometimes not. Typical specs say: This two-part liquid, expanding rigid urethane foam is a closed cell, pourable foam, which will resist the absorption of water.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

The two part pourable foam from USComposites will NOT absorb water. It is 100% closed cell. Each individual cell of the foam is encapsulatated and therfore impervious to water absorption. The Home Depot Spray foam is NOT like this.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lets be REAL clear here.....

what woodie just said is correct.

the spray in stuff from a local hardware store IS NOT THE PRODUCT TO USE.
products like great stuff....are for insulation and do not have the anti crush stregnth nor the closed cell foam that we need for this purpose.

The proper material for foaming a boat is the two part pour in foam.

The use of rigid Styrofoam boards, like the pink or blue from a hard ware store. is only acceptable UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS.

these conditions are when the foam is used for flotation only. like under a seat in a tinny or under a bow seat not against the hull.

in any circumstance where the foam is next to the hull......a determination must be made to see if the hull is thick enough to forgo the need for the pour in expanding foam backing.
the foam can represent as much as 10% total hull structure of a boat.

the rigid foam will not contour to the hull, there for the backing is not there and stress will cause crazing on the gellcoat.

so for example, if a person was doing a full gut stringer job, and had removed all the wet foam from the hull.
in most cases, a rigid foam board would not work......the pour in foam would be the way to go here. the hull would need the rigidity of the pour in foam to expand to the shape of the hull. rather than the rigid foam leaving voids.

tho, it sounds like the op's needs are more flotation than structural, he does want the pour in foam to encase the pvc added.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I think swim noodles are the closed cell material too. If you are looking to hold your PVC in place these noodles most likely wont work. You did say you had a Alum tracker right? I used them on my glass boat, under the floor, (it had nothing before) but you will need to decide if they could be used for your application. The 2 part mix is not cheap.

Toad64

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is all i was saying. This is areomarine.

Q. Do I need to paint or fiberglass over the floatation foam?

A. You probably should. Polyurethane will absorb a small amount of water, because some of the the cells are open (95%+ are closed, though). Painting or glassing will seal the foam and prevent any water absorption. However, it really shouldn't be necessary unless the foam is constantly immersed in water, such as in a boat with bilges that are always wet. The foam is not UV resistant, so it should be painted if exposed to sunlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.