1959 Evinrude Big Twin. (Dis assembly)

sundaydrive86

Seaman Apprentice
I hope someone on this site can help me with this process. I am restoring a 1959 lonestar malibu that I recieved from my Grandfather. He gave me a Big Twin out of his garage. He told me that it had a problem before he stored it. It would die alittle while after running it. He thought maybe it was overheating but he didnt remember how the water flow was coming out of it. So I took it apart to inspect the water pump bought a new impeller to make sure. When I took it apart there is a shaft that comes down that spins with motor. Can anyone tell me how that comes out. I need it out to reassemble the lower half of the motor. Or am I an idiot and am doing it wrong?

Also If this is a trend with big twins that I should know about overheating and what not let me know. I know my grandfather would love to take a ride in this boat when its done. The motor is that last step and its got me going crazy. Its hard to find info on these motors.
Thanks for looking if you cant help!

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1959 Evinrude Big Twin. (Dis assembly)

I don't understand how you got the lower unit off without taking the driveshaft out at the same time. I suspect the impeller is not only worn out but totally shot. The driveshaft is splined into the bottom of the crankshaft and is probably rusted a bit. If a gentle pull doesn't take it out, grab the shaft with a pair of good visegrips and hit downward with a mallet (gently). Sometimes you need to turn the motor on it's head and put the penetrating oil to it and let it soak for awhile. The driveshaft may have a horizontal pin near the top and you would need to turn the flywheel to get that pin lined up and released.

kfa4303

Banned

HI sundaydrive86. Welcome to ibaots. Great old motor you got there. Assuming it still turns over and has decent dompression, all the rest can be easily fixed for less than $150, with parts that you can get right here at iboats. If the motor has been sitting that long, the origial coils are almost surely shot. Thankfully, new coils are only about $20 each and are much, much better quality. Once replaced they will outlast the motor. Here are some great links to get you started on bringing that old gem back to life. They can walk you throug an entire tune up from top to bottom. Holler if you get stuck. We love pics ;)

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/24/index.cfm

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/03/r/columns/max/07/index.htm

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

sundaydrive86

Seaman Apprentice

I completely agree with if physically cant come apart without the shaft coming with it. However it did and the key way that spins impeller in waterpump went though the aluminum impeller casing cracking it. I was able to find a spare. The shaft however is stuck. My dad and I tried visegrip with mallet and without marking it up to much gave up for fear of damaging something else. But I will turn it upside down and penetrate it with oil. From what I can see there really isnt anything else that I know of that can hold it in place.
Todd

lindy46

Captain

Assuming you can get the driveshaft out of the crank, after you clean it up and are ready to put it together, make sure to replace the rubber o-ring that sits in the groove at the top of the driveshaft. I'll bet yours doesn't have one. And grease up the splines. That little o-ring keeps water from getting up there and prevents the problem you're now experiencing.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I completely agree with if physically cant come apart without the shaft coming with it. However it did and the key way that spins impeller in waterpump went though the aluminum impeller casing cracking it. I was able to find a spare. The shaft however is stuck. My dad and I tried visegrip with mallet and without marking it up to much gave up for fear of damaging something else. But I will turn it upside down and penetrate it with oil. From what I can see there really isnt anything else that I know of that can hold it in place.
Todd

Is the power head still attached to the leg, or did you remove it already? If, you haven't pulled it, I would.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

I would also replace the thermostat as well. Those often contribute to overheating problems. Those are good old motors and very reliable. Tune it up right and it will offer many years of great service.

1959 Lone Star Malibu, huh? Cool. I have a 1959 Lone Star Newport, with a 1959 Johnson 35hp. They're nice boats and you'll love it.

sundaydrive86

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the input guys. I was going to fire up the heater in garage last night and get after it but had no motivation. I plan on looking at it tonight as well as over weekend.
1946Zephyr they are extremly nice boats I replaced the transom and repainted it, redid front seats. Put so much time in it last summer just to get to the motor and now all of this. I want to give up on this motor so bad and just get a newer model but I know how awesome it would be to have a matching boat and motor.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea, don't give up on that old classic. Personally, they're much classier on that boat and parts are a lot cheaper. Besides, you can completely tune that old bugger up, with new components for about 1/4 the cost of a later motor. New ignition system, carb kit, water pump kit and gearcase re-seal kit can be obtained for around $125 and you'll be set for many years.

It just so happens that I bought a 1959 Johnson RDSL-21 from a neighbor of mine, a couple months prior to finding my boat, so they made a perfect match. I'm a big enthusiast on those old big twins anyhow. Very forgiving and tougher than shoe leather. :D

If you need anything for it, let me know. I have 6 of those big twins in my collection. LOL If it's a short shaft, I do have a spare drive shaft. I happen to have a parts motor, your year. I'm going to rebuild and use the lower unit off of it, but I'm using the long shaft drive shaft from my Johnson.

Keep us posted and post some pics :D

sundaydrive86

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry it took awhile people. Id like to update you on what happened. The shaft was indeed rusted in and it took alot of time using wd-40 to loosen up the rust it also took some encouragement with a hammer and vise-grip. that is why the shaft did not come with when I took lower unit off. Anyways this weekend I will start putting it back together and see if the new impeller solves overheating problem. Need the motor done! Wisconsin weather has been awesome lately!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Are you sure that is a 1959? Rusted drive shaft splines are sort of unusual in those, but it is possible. On the other hand, you got it out with Vise Grips, which you usually won't on a pre-'59 model.

Before you put it back together, you need to stick the shaft up in there (with a new o-ring) and make sure it slides in easy without hurting the o-ring. If it doesn't pass the test, you will have to remove the powerhead for access and clean the rust out of the crankshaft cavity. Otherwise, you will just get the same problem next time. Also, if there is downward push on the drive shaft from not entering the crank easy, it will load the gears, possibly causing destruction down there.

Smear some Moly grease on the splines before assembling for keeps.

"Too much work to pull the powerhead" is no excuse.