Can I use a marine radio as a base station in the house?

jcw74801

Seaman Apprentice
I have a marine radio in the boat for emergencies and listening to the fishing guides on our lake. I have an extra antenna and was wondering if I could rig up a marine radio back at the cabin. What is the proper device to power a 12vdc radio from a 120vac household circuit?

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Can I use a marine radio as a base station in the house?

You can use a standard converter that will reduce the voltage. Should be available from any Radio Shack type store or check online for best prices. Alternatively, you could use an auto/marine battery, but then you'd have to hook a trickle charger to it to maintain the proper level. Too many things to go bad there...

If you decide to go with a converter, I would make sure it's turned off when not in use.

NYBo

Admiral

Note that you can listen to your heart's content, but it is illegal to transmit from shore without a station license.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I agree you can NOT use your radio from shore without a special licence.
Only places I have seen get a licence is marinas and one party I know can call their vessel.
I am pretty sure both are limited to 1 watt also.
It is probably a good thing that it is not allowed as it would become like CB radios of old days.
Your not even allowed to transmit from from your boat on the trailer at the boat ramp.
Chit chat is also not allowed. Radio is for navigation and safety.
Channel 68 and 69 and some of the channels used by fishing fleets in different area
most of the conversations are how the fishing where you are and other general conversation.
I really do not see much enforcement on the water except on channel 13, 14, 16, 21, 22, 70 and 83.
In the San Francisco area I often hear coast guard put out a call to vessels that is talking on 16 or 22 that
"16 is for Calling and Distress only, move your traffic to a proper channel". Also that to use english only.
When they continue they sometmes call their vessel on patroll and tell them if they have completed their
mission to pratice their vessel locating training and find the offending vessel. You will hear this infornation on
Channel 21. They are really quite good at this. First thing you will notice is vessel stops transmiting on 16.
Next on 21 you will here the vessel they are boarding and last that they cited the vessle for vilations.
In some cases that the vessel is in a unsafe condition and they have it in tow, because the vessel is not safe.
Even on routine patrol they do a lot of safety inspections.

jcw74801

Seaman Apprentice

Great information. Many things I was not aware of. Definitely no enforcement on our inland lake. Chit-chat is about all you'll hear, including the fishing guides. We do have cell phones though, and even an old police scanner that will pick up the marine traffic. So I see no reason to set up a land-based radio knowing its usage would be a violation. Glad I asked! And thanks.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

JCW I agree inland lakes have no inforcement here either. Largest lake we go to is a California State and divides
2 counties. It has a Marina with a fuel dock. On summer weekends it is patroled by two county sherrifs and
the State Parks boats. Radio traffic is on working channels and mostly we are rafting up for lunch and
where they are. It hard to raise one of the boats but both times when we needed to we did get one.
Lake has riding and hiking trails all around it. One time a lady fell off her horse and broke a hip and the
other time a dog got bite by a rattle snake. Both times we called the patrol boats and they took care of the injured.
We also carry a portable scanner and monitor the Police, Fire, Fish and Game and airborn fire fighting aircraft.
I was impressed by the state parks Patrol boat who picked up the dog and it owner. It was on a sunday miday and
Patrol boat showed up at our location right away. They were off to the closest boat ramp. As he was headed there
he called for a patrol vehical to meet them at the dock and head quarters looked up Vets. Nearest open Vet Hosiptal
was was about 10 miles away and about to close but they contacted them and they agreed to wait for them.
Then the Head park ranger came on and said they could not take state Vehical out of the state park.
A lot of upset people at that point and Boats ranger said then take me to my vehical and I will take them.
Finally before they got to the boat ramp head ranger said he would allow them to use state vehical and drop them off.
Vet confirmed they had anti ventium. Do not know if the dog made it or not. Last thing we know is the park ranger
meet the rest of the group at their horse trailers and gave them the name and address of the Vet Hosiptal.
A Job well done by the California State park Rangers.

sweet03cobra

Cadet

what woudl be a good setup to have in order to talk from my camper to the boat? The lake is about 1.5 miles away through the woods. We portage in up in canada. I am a newbie so don't know alot about this stuff.

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Best to start a new thread. This is a year old. In addition, you can't mount a VHF in your camper to talk to your boat. But you CAN install a plain old CB radio in both.