Shifting into gear AQ270

LegacyT

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just curious how these drives "should" sound when shifting into gear. I'm new to VP's (and owning a boat). Mine makes a small thud. Are they suppose to be silky smooth or is this normal? I went up in prop pitch from a 19 to a 21 seemed to make the thud a lil worse. Could this be from more water the prop has to push when going into gear?

Thanks,

captmello

Captain
Re: Shifting into gear AQ270

One of these could be causing your thud.

too High idle-Which engine do you have and what is the idle speed?

play in the outdrive-Does it clunk when shifting when the boat is on muffs? if so, play in the outdrive isn't the problem.

worn outdrive parts-Next time you have the upper gear box off, you could measure the gap at the top nut. If you get around to checking this, here is a link to a thread describing the proceedure.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=367401

Let us know what you find.:)

LegacyT

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the link, I'll check it out when I pull the upper to change the bellow.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer

If the PDS bearings, universal drive shaft and vertical shaft split ring keeper are all good, the cone clutch engagement itself will be very quiet.
What you are probably hearing is the slack between the suspension fork and set pin [when engaging FWD], and between the Reverse Latch hooks and the set pin [when engaging REV]. Pretty normal for this style drive.

I agree with Captmello. If you pull the transmission, you can check the clearance as suggested. Chances are the brass wear ring [split ring keeper] has expanded. Be sure to replace any o'rings and gaskets. Don't forget the hollow bolt o'ring.
You may also want to replace the PDS bearings and bearing crosses while you have this apart.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Lowering the idle solved my shift clunk.