teak trim is white in color how to bring it back

reefrunner7

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The teak wood and trim on the boat has turned white from not being treated how can it be brought back to a good looking wood color?

cr2k

Captain
Re: teak trim is white in color how to bring it back

Mcguires makes a Teak Oil that works good. I get the golden teak oil, but I thin it comes in lighter or darker too.

Tahorover

Chief Petty Officer

It's a three step process. First you clean with an alkaline detergent. This will remove all the dirt and old finish. Step two is a acidic wash. This will remove all the oxidized wood. Oxidized teak is sliver or white in color. Step three is teak oil or teak finish.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

my system may be all sorts of wrong BUT I pressure wash, dry, sand, and then go with a system of cleaner, brightener.... dry, sand again, and finally finish.... either teak oil or other more permanent finish

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer

my system may be all sorts of wrong BUT I pressure wash, dry, sand, and then go with a system of cleaner, brightener.... dry, sand again, and finally finish.... either teak oil or other more permanent finish

I just blast it with a pressure washer. Done. Protect the wood with the oil of your choice.

superbenk

Commander

I just blast it with a pressure washer. Done. Protect the wood with the oil of your choice.

This is what I do. Worked great for me.

IMG_4993.JPG

reefrunner7

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok so no varnish or anything required then?

rockyrude

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Teak by nature is a very oily wood, no varnish/urethane will stick for very long. As others have said, teak oil is best just touch up as required.