MId Engine boat Advice

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Found a very clean MasterCraft 90 mid engine boat...The drive train... what do i look for..i have no ideal...its a 351 ford 700 hours any input or pointers...

Ned L

Commander
Re: MId Engine boat Advice

A straight inboard is the simplest drive train there is. 'Any' mechanic can check out the Ford 351 for you. As for the reverse gear, pull the dipstick to look at and smell the fluid, (actual type may vary by reverse gear manufacturer). If it uses standard 'ATF' it should be a redish/pinkish color and clear, and not smell burned. If you have the chance to actually run the boat make sure the reverse gear doesn't make any odd noises & shifts smoothly from forward to reverse. Run the boat thought the full spped range checking for vibrations (bent shaft &/or prop). inspect the prop shaft stuffing box - given all the different types now about the most general advise that can be given is to make sure it doesn't leak a lot underway and it doesn't heat up underway. If you can inspect the boat out of the water check the prop for damage and check that the shaft doesn't move (sideways back & forth) in the cutlass bearing in the strut. check the steering that it operates & turns smoothly from lock to lock. I think that's pretty much it for the major stuff.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: MId Engine boat Advice

Thank you...passed on that little adventure..Motor wouldnt top 4000 rpm..big vibration to 2500rpm...hull scuffed badly prop shot. Not my first choice..second ..third whatever