1978 Merc 200/20hp troubles

jc_182002

Recruit
i am having trouble with my 1978 mercury model 200 20hp. Serial range 4709593 and up. I aquired this motor from an old fire department that rarely ever used it. the guy said maybe 30-50 hours on it. paint is still on the prop and fin. It has been sitting in a garage for 20 plus years. Once i got my hands on it, every wire was dry rotted. So i got a print out of the diagram from a local marine place and rewired the entire motor. once rewired i rebiult carb, water pump, new foot oil and seals. Once complteded i could not get the engine to idle so i took it to my local repair shop and it ran good for a few weeks. Then the problems started! when running wide open, it seemed to lunge back and forth and seemed to hit full then 3/4 throttle back and forth in about 1.5 - 2 second intervials. I assumed this was a spark plug problem and did not think about it. once we sit around for awhile the motor would not start. the best way i know to describe it was it souned like a lawn mower with a weak battery. I tried to pull start it but could not turn the engine over with my rope. I finally got the motor to crank with the throttle wide open and made it to the truck. I did notice that there was a steady drip of water coming from the top spark plug threads. Could this be water in the piston causing to much compression seeing as how i could not pull start it? i have ordered a new gasket for the spark plug cover. Does anyone know if this will help my problem? when i took the plate off i noticed the plugs thread into the actual chamber. i also looked real hard with an LED light for cracks in the head and could not find any. Any help would be great!!

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1978 Merc 200/20hp troubles

Could be ign related

If water is spitting out the head cover there is a chance the spark is leaking from the boot/plug wire and shorting to the block.

I would watch the engine in low light with cover off while it's acting up and look for pretty blue sparks.

And go slow on the head cover bolts, if you get any resistance, tighten the bolt a little and add penetrating oil and go for it again.

Those bolts like to snap ;)