70 HP Johnson VRO Oil pump

I just picked up a 2000 Johnson 70HP with VRO. I have always mixed my fuel so this is a new thing for me. My boat isn't quite ready for the motor and I bought it off boat so I have only seen it run on a stand. It appears to be a good purchase. The guy I bought it from (mechanic for a big marina) had removed it from his boat purchase cuz he wanted something faster. Fine with me! Never having VRO I did some research to understand how it works. Pretty cool actually, but it seems some like it, some hate it, some want it, some remove it, some go back to premix. All I know is that now I am completely confused. So...should I hook it up?

Auxlarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 70 HP Johnson VRO Oil pump

I am one of those that actually likes the VRO system. Up until last year my VRO worked flawlessly for 25 years and when the oil side started to leak around the pump itself I decided that instead of spending the money to replace it I went to premix. The fuel pump side is still working strong but i think when it decides to quit I will go back to the VRO.

Larry

shamrock220

Cadet

Did it come with the system check? If so I would keep the VRO and use it. I have a 99 115 and researched this to death deceiding unless VRO pump is bad it is better to use then disable.

Sorry...what does, come with the system check mean?

I have no idea as to whether or not it works. When we cranked it up, the guy I bought it from said, "It has VRO but didn't hook it back up because it's not going to run for long."

With that, you can see where he cut the oil line (hose) when he removed it from the boat. He didn't (or it wasn't) plug it so I figured it was working. Since the motor ran, I assumed it was hooked up (originally) when the boat first arrived and thus, working properly. I am thinking I will hook it up, test it before going out for a long period, and see if all is good. From what I can read about how it works, it's simple. There is no adjustment and it uses the engine to pump so unless the unit on the engine is bad, all should be okay.

shamrock220

Cadet

In like 96 OMC came out with system check. It is 4 led lights, over heat, no oil, low oil and check engine. It is either a seperate 2 inch gauge or as part of a tach. It is designed to monitor the engine temp, ensure engine is getting oil, ensure tank has oil in it and notify of fuel restrictions. If you have an alarm the led lights showing what trigged alarm. You should have it and I think that with this system the VRO works great. Lots of info on VRO Vs disconnecting and premixing google it.

AlTn

Commander

to be on the safe side...run 50:1 premix in your fuel tank as you determine whether or not the vro is working properly

gotcha with the system check. the seller gave me all the gauges and there is one with something like 4 led lights, over heat, no oil, low oil and check engine, etc. Of course... i will need to get everything hooked up. You are correct about googling, that's why I come here. On the internet for every positive there are 12 negatives and for every negative there are 12 positives. Drive ya crazy trying to figure who's right or wrong. ;-)

AITn - Appreciate the info.