• Retired or unemployed certified mechanic

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • Backyard mechanic

Votes: 50 74.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer
I am wondering how many posters are professionally trained vs back yard mechanic.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Which mechanic category are you in?

The vast majority of the people are here because thier boat is broken and they want to know how to fix it, while there are a few "real" mechanics most are various degrees of back yard guys like me.

I have a manual and will tackle about anything, I have done several lowers and thank God no top ends, I am sure I could do it but don't want to.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I guess I qualified for both back in the late 60s. I developed the training program for the OMC Service Instructors, but never worked professionally as an outboard wrench. Did work professionally as a sports car wrench and race driver for a while.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

24 years as a full time outboard technician in a dealership shop. We weren't called "mechanics". That word conjures up thoughts of "shade tree" and "crooked".

southkogs

Staff member

... and some of us are all thumbs when workin' on engines. But we try ;)

ba_50

Chief Petty Officer

I may have to post a poll again if I can figure out how to get the questions next to the circles. What happened to them?

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

24 years as a full time outboard technician in a dealership shop. We weren't called "mechanics". That word conjures up thoughts of "shade tree" and "crooked".

lol good answer F_R :cool:

Me, backyard all the way. Work on my own 'cause I just gotta :D

<<)))(((>>

nwcove

Admiral

sledge hammer and cold chisel all the way! ......and i wish they didnt take the cutting torch from me.....that was a usefull tool!

86 century

Ensign

Started down the marine road because I had no clue the eng where so differnt.

I am an ase master auto tech witch in no way helps with my boats.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I always did almost all the work on my motors (OBs and I/Os), from the time I was 12 until 40+ years later.

Once, many years ago, I asked a mechanic to adjust the idle mixture on my 3 carbs, since the TOP would stall at idle. I got a lot of bull and a 2 month wait. All he did in the end was turn up the idle speed and tell me I had "slime" in my carbs. The "slime" was fuel stabilizer. I ended up doing the synchronization myself, and that was the last time I took it to anyone....

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

Lots of job titles have changed over the yrs. If the original seems beneath one or will increase pay, then they call themselves "XXXX technician"or some kind of "associate". Like a lot of trade school awards are not diplomas anymore, they're "associate degrees".
As for myself, I'm just an ol' shadetree who's worked on a lot of different things mechanical or electrical. I use the books when available. I sure wish this internet had been around when I was a lot younger, knowledge/ information is so easy to get from it.
Mike

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I have a lot of pride in knowing every nook and cranny of each motor that I have or have owned. Something about running an outboard that I have maintained or gotten running, letting that sucker run in a bucket. I could just listen to her run for hours. I have worked on everything from a 1 cylinder 2hp outboard, to a 2 cylinder fourwheeler, up to a v8 Mustang, and everything in between. Mechanical parts is in my blood, I just don't really know where it came from. I think this is one of the finest site/forums that I have ever been on. Lots of respectable/knowledgeable folks on here. I like the fact that some of these boys get more pride out of helping others than they do helping themselves. These guys sure have saved me hours and hundreds of dollars. Oh and saved me from learning the hard way! Thanks to all that are so dedicated to what they do!!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Guess I would have to be a shader when it comes to boats, though I do work as a maintanence tech in the food industry.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

21 years now and. And for the last 2 years been trying to get out of it,

Pay sucks.
No benefits.
Lay off every year.

Every 2 to 3 years watch labor rates go up and pay either stays the same or gets reduced!. loss of overtime. Hell I could rant on and on.
Just seems to me that for such a specialized repair industry. We would be treated better. I'm sure some of you tech's feel the same.
Dam someone must have pissed in my coffee this morning. SORRY.

badfish888

Seaman Apprentice

6 years in the USCG as a machinery technician. have been to the following schools and have technician certificates for all. Honda,cummins, detroit,fairbanks morse,ALCO, CAT. but sadly no mercury, if you dont have it at your unit, the wont spend the money to send you

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

Never thought I was mechanically inclined until I started dirt track racing. Watched a buddy rebuild an engine for me once (he said now you can do them yourself) Since then I have been doing 90% of all work myself. Although the Merc outboard intimidates me a bit--as long as I have the book I am good to go. To me any V8 motor (even computer controlled) is easier to work on than an outboard. Seems that even older outboards were always more advanced in design and function than any car motor of its time (maybe that is just me)

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

Shade tree here, never could afford to have somebody do it for me.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Self taught. First OB I tackled was my (daddy's) '55 or so Scott Atwater 10 hp (green and gold) as a teenager. Been interested in engines since a teen and have done my own work on everything I have owned, less machine work which I took to a machine shop when required. List includes cars, p/u trucks, OTR 800 cu in 400 hp Cummins and rock bucket, motor cycles, 2 and 4 cycle, lawn equip of all sorts, marine engines and outdrives in 2 and 4 cycle, and farm tractors through a JD 4230 400 cu in, 100 drawbar hp.

I didn't go to repair shops because I am electromechanicaly curious and didn't want to spend the money, nor wait out the period to have some one do my mechanin for me. Over the years I have accumulated a reasonable set of tools and a nice shop in which to work.

I buy manuals to provide specs for what I work on and if it's not in the manual, or unclear I go to www forums and ask question. I am a senior citizen these days and some things I can't remember and some others I try to remember and goof. Nice thing about forums is they are self rightening....if someone tells a lie they get jumped on with both feet....so the general public usually gets a truthful answer and that's the way it should be.

Mark

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Since I dont get paid for being a mechanic, I guess I am a "backyard Mechanic".

However I have job and hobby related experience and enough contacts that allow me to get by so to speak.

durban

Master Chief Petty Officer

Trade certified Boilermaker , i have a brain & like to use it , born in Africa ,with real bush mechanic skills .