Advice on cheap Sugar Sand Mirage - 175xr2 jet drive that wont run

Chupa

Cadet
Local CL add for a 1997 Sugar Sand Mirage jet boat with a mercury 175 xr2. The motor will not run, but it is not frozen. No indication as to what could be wrong with the motor. Ive only seen pictures of the boat, Have not gone to inspect it yet. Wondering if its worth the drive.

He is selling for only $1,200. In your guys experience does such a thing ever turn out well for the buyer (me?). The boat has been sitting for 2 years covered sense it last ran. That also bothers me.

Any general advice would be appreciated. If I do end up wanting to buy it I would probably get a mechanic inspect at least the hull and all that first, I'm not sure how much they can diagnose on the engine just by looking it over. How much would I expect to pay for that sort of thing?

Thanks!

pictures:
IMAG0439.jpgIMAG0440.jpgIMAG0443.jpg

HeadSurgeon

Recruit
Re: Advice on cheap Sugar Sand Mirage - 175xr2 jet drive that wont run

Hi I am just curious, did you purchase this boat? If so how did it work out?

Chupa

Cadet

No I did not.

duffer70

Recruit

No I did not.

i have just purchaced a 1995 suger sand mirage the engine would turn over unpluged the black and yellow wire on the side of the engine by what looks like a mini cpu and it fired right up. by doing this i was able to find out that the rev limeter was gone and it is a little black box located right there as well very easy to replace and was only $80.

venxxxxx

Seaman

i have just purchaced a 1995 suger sand mirage the engine would turn over unpluged the black and yellow wire on the side of the engine by what looks like a mini cpu and it fired right up. by doing this i was able to find out that the rev limeter was gone and it is a little black box located right there as well very easy to replace and was only $80.

Nicely done :)