Need some prop/pitch advise!!

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2002 Carolina skiff semi v 17' with a 2001 Johnson 50hp..I am having a problem getting up on plane with 3 guys that are around 215.The pitch is 15 and the rpm at WOT is alittle over 6000..What would suggest to help with getting on plane? 13 pitch?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need some prop/pitch advise!!

Your motor is allready 500 over the 5500 recommrnded rpm rating a 13 would add about 400 rpm.ouch!
Do you trim down for hole shot,try to balance the weight with a slight forward bias? Is the motor in excellent tune with a good prop?Does the throttle
open all the way? If the boat is about 700 lbs dry the prop is usually 17"Apparently won't work for you.
Assuming everthing checks out a 4 blade 15" Solas Amita prop should help it get up and reduce the rpm slightly
to get closer to the 5500 rating. I don't think you should run the motor at 6000 routinely.

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class

Everything on the motor is ok, the carbs open full, I checked the comp. when i bought it and it was all good..Gets up on plane no problem with 2 guys..But if i put a 3guy on board it will just push the water!! I do trim the motor down when i start out..A 17 pitch would lower the rpm? correct? Do you think it would still have the same problem getting on plane with a 17? I Would think a 50hp would not have a problem getting on plane with 3 guys..

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You don't want to go to a 17" ,in this case the motor would struggle even more.
Is the antivent plate(just above the prop) about even with the bottom of the boat?
What is the horsepower rating of the boat?
From my very limited reading it does appear that some C.Skiffs struggle as weight is added.
I do think a 15" 4 blade will help.

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, I will look into the 4 blade..Its just an expensive prop to buy if it wont help!! Would it help if i raised the motor mount up higher? I bought the fins you put on the motor and i think it made it worse!!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Thats the problerm with the "fins" they can mess things up.
If the motor is setup too deep the "fin" will be underwater all the time
Remove the fin and raise the motor to a point just before venting becomes a problem.
Then try the "fin" again.
All I can tell you about the 4 blade is it "should" improve hole shot,stay on plane better at reduced
throttle. and handle better underway and at the dock.Will reduce rpm slightly.
The Solas Amita has a good reputation.
There is a very good results post under "prop change" thread.

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for all your help steelspike..Do you think i should check the wot rpm with 3 guys on board to see where that is at? Most of the time i have 2-3 guys on board!! Im guessing the rpm will be lower with more weight?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I think I would be more interested to see the speed by gps at 6,000.
Wouldn't hurt to do a test run with a load for rpm and speed to see if it makes good speed
once planed.
It just occured to me that a 16 or 17" 4 blade would bring the rpm down and the speed up
while still improving the hole shot.

wilson750

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks steelespike, I thnk i have a few options to try out now..