Can I use a 454 bravo engine to replace the 454 alpha my boat had?

23SX

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I bought a 1987 Doral Phaser (same as Sea Ray Pachanga) today less the short block but with all bolt on parts such as intake, exhaust manifolds, heads, etc... What year long blocks or complete bravo engines can I use? I have had both a 454 alpha and bravo in the past but cannot remember if the parts are the same less the raw water pump on the bravo?

Thanks

Last edited:

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can I use a 454 bravo engine to replace the 454 alpha my boat had?

Any but you would be best to stay with a carburetor model. It would be more compatable with the boat as far as wiring and fuel system. The '87 would have had a Mark IV. Now if you go with a '91 or newer, Gen V or VI they do not have the mechanical fuel pump mount on the block so you would need the seawater pump which has the mechanical fuel pump mount built on it. Or go to an electric fuel pump. If this boat has the Alpha drive I wouldn't go with any 454 bigger than a 330.

23SX

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info picklenjim! Trust me, there is NO way I am going higher than 330hp. I would be fine with a 260-300 hp engine as these boats will go 65 mph stock with a 454 and I only go WOT for a few minutes each trip to the lake. Now i just have to find a block/engine assy!?!

23SX

Seaman Apprentice

It does have an alpha outdrive on it. I am curious as my search has only turned up 1 alpha 454, if I went with a GEN 5 OR 6 454 bravo using the sea water/fuel pump would there be a issue using the sea water pump with the alpha impellar or what kind of electric fuel pump set up would be good one? I would prefer to leave the drive alone.

Pete104

Lieutenant

Install a seperate thru hull for "sea-water pump" pick-up. Make sure you don't land on a trailer bunk or roller. Brass will be pretty expensive but don't take any shortcuts.
As far as the alpha impeller, remove it & use new gaskets upon reassebly.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

One of the differences between a Bravo engine and an Alpha engine is the shift interrupt switch. The Alpha uses a normally open switch, the Bravo uses a normally closed....

dubs283

Vice Admiral

Install a seperate thru hull for "sea-water pump" pick-up....
As far as the alpha impeller, remove it & use new gaskets upon reassebly.

if you go this route you should keep the alpha drive water pump/impeller assy in working condition, cut the water passage hose at the transom assy, and block off the water passage in the gimble housing - you need water passing through the drive to help keep it cool

One of the differences between a Bravo engine and an Alpha engine is the shift interrupt switch. The Alpha uses a normally open switch, the Bravo uses a normally closed....

bravos are not equipped with a shift interrupt switch, efi models are equipped with an "in gear/neutral" switch

achris

More fish than mountain goat

bravos are not equipped with a shift interrupt switch, efi models are equipped with an "in gear/neutral" switch

:facepalm: of course they are...

dubs283

Vice Admiral

gotcha :)

picklenjim

Chief Petty Officer

It does have an alpha outdrive on it. I am curious as my search has only turned up 1 alpha 454, if I went with a GEN 5 OR 6 454 bravo using the sea water/fuel pump would there be a issue using the sea water pump with the alpha impellar or what kind of electric fuel pump set up would be good one? I would prefer to leave the drive alone.
I think in the case of a gen V or VI I would just go with the electric fuel pump and forget about the seawater pump. Several good pumps out there Holley-Carter-Mallory just to name a few and would be pretty easy to hook up for a carb motor. Just be sure it's coast guard approved. Do a search for electric marine fuel pumps. Several are availiable on ebay reasonable. Mercury found out real quick that the alpha didn't play well with the 454 so it was only available 1 year,'87. That's why you don't see many and why I recommended not to go with anything bigger than the 330 which is the lowest HP model of the marine 454. Shift interupt switch has nothing to do with what your doing here.

23SX

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks to everyone for your responses, I REALLY appreciate the info. That 454 alpha engine I found has been sold so its back to getting a long block or Bravo 454 because the last time I saw an 454 alpha engine for sale it was about 1 year ago but I didn't need it at the time and it was just dumb luck I found it. I think I will get a reman GEN IV long block or a used complete engine assy and if it's set up for the Bravo just ditch the sea-water pump and go electric fuel pump if its GEN V or VI. There a tons of reman engine suppliers, does any one have any input on a particular builder?

Also I will be installing a drive shower on the alpha, I know it won't help it when getting on plane with the torque of the engine but keeping it cool is something I am definetly going to do.