Motor locked up

Markussupreme

Recruit
Was on the river today and my 1980 15hp evinrude just stopped. I couldn't pull start rope or turn magneto by hand. Left the river, got home and everything was free and rope pulled just fine. Any ideas of what could of happened?

jasper60103

Commander
Re: Motor locked up

Was on the river today and my 1980 15hp evinrude just stopped. I couldn't pull start rope or turn magneto by hand. Left the river, got home and everything was free and rope pulled just fine. Any ideas of what could of happened?

Sounds like a overheat. Did you notice if it was pumping water?

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

Could it have overheated and later cooled down? The only other thing I can think of would be a hydraulic lock caused by a volume of fuel in one of the cylinders on the way to compression. My four cycle edger does this all the time with oil. It locks up solid. Don't ask me how it gets into the cylinder but I have to pull the plug and spin it; blow out the oil and I'm good to go. Did you try turning the flywheel the other way? I'm not an expert so these are my two cents. Let us know when you solve it. Good luck!

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Check your g/c oil to see if it's got water in it.

Markussupreme

Recruit
I did notice the water stream out of the back of the engine was not as strong as it usually is. I will pull a spark plug and check the gear case oil, then I'll try to start it. Looks like I might need a water pump. Thanks, I'll let you know what I find.

Mi duckdown

Commander

You need to change the water pump impellar first, before you do anything else.
Actually you need to check compression First.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

You'll probably notice the paint on the head is now a little darker than the rest of the powerhead. :eek:

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Get an impeller in it and I would check compression to see if you reall yhurt anything, if that is good run it on muffs before you go the lake, alot of times when you get it that hot it kills the head gasket so is best make sure all is well before you hit the water.

Probly wouldn't hurt to change the thermostat while you have it apart, there are plastic bits in the head that will melt if you get it hot enough.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer

.... Did you try turning the flywheel the other way? ...

Do not turn the flywheel the other way! You will likely damage your impeller. It's got a direction learned into it and forcing it the other way can crack up the rubber.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Do not turn the flywheel the other way! You will likely damage your impeller. It's got a direction learned into it and forcing it the other way can crack up the rubber.

No big deal here. That impeller needs to be changed anyway.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I am still curious as to what the compression ended up being??

Johny25

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had the same thing happen to my 87 once. And it was exactly what twocyclemania said. My carburetor gasket failed, motor quit and I pulled on it about 15 times before I pulled the cover off and noticed the fuel pouring through the gasket (never buy jap rubber gaskets again!) that seals the float. By this time the motor was locked up and I could not pull it at all. Got it out of the water, pulled a plugged and released all the pressure. New gasket (American) all fixed :)