1972 starcraft thoughs?? $$

warrenjets

Cadet
So i found this in alabama and we haggled over it . I got him down to 1800$ and not a penny less. SHe cranks.. floors are solid. Interior is orginal and transom is good. Its a 85 merc hanging off the back. Whare are thinking. Should i get it. I know it will prob need some work but everything works. Electric trim. Lights.. It does have 3 small JB wield repairs on the bottom. I will load some pics. I just want a good platform to start with. I dont mind spending some money. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• bt2.jpg
    bt2.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 0
  • bt5.jpg
    bt5.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
  • bt6.jpg
    bt6.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 0
  • bt7.jpg
    bt7.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 0
  • bt8.jpg
    bt8.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 0

wlg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1972 starcraft thoughs?? $$

Looks like it's about an 18 foot? Does not sound to bad. I paid $1250 and my motor ( 125 Force ) needs work. Check out my thread.
79 Sylvan Sportster 18 open bow rebuild.

warrenjets

Cadet

i wonder if this old 115 mariner would fit without ripping off the transom?mariner 115.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Howdy warrenjets,

Welcome.

Don't know much about tin boats, but that seems like a fair score, especially if you can throw that Tower of power in the weeds on there...

If at all possible, I would ask the owner, if you are certain this is the one for you and are willing to pay for it, that you take it out for a sea trial...That way you know for sure the motor runs good, the boat won't sink, the trailer isn't falling apart, and most of the stuff works...

I suggest this, because, even though you are willing to spend money on it... if the basics don't work, you could end up spending way more than you expect...and in the current economy, there are deals to be had all over the place...

While not common, good complete running boats can be had for around a thousand bucks, yeah, they'll need work...but even a new boat needs money put into it to make it yours...

Best of Luck,
GT1M

PS- on the Mariner 115, the size of the boat can probably handle it, but given the age of the boat, you will more than likely need to install a new transom...

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander

Price seems a tad high but not out of line if everything is solid and works. I'd definitely take it for test ride.

64osby

Admiral

You did not say the length, 72 16' ss model max 85 hp 18' ss model max 140 hp.

I would do a water test make sure it's not leaking like a sieve, and fire the motor and run it. If everything is as good as you say and you only have to change or redo the seats it's not a bad deal,

But I would still offer less.

warrenjets

Cadet

You guys are rite.. I do like the starcraft with he open bow. Im not sure of the length. He did crank the motor for me but had to use a bit of starting fluid to get it going. I am really looking for a project. I wana gut it an put in some swivle seats.. The 115 mariner is on an old boat my dad has. THe boat is rotten but dad took car in preserving the motor before is sat. Im pretty sure it could be brought back to life. I would love to find a good aluminum boat for it. Does anybody know how well an 85 hp would push that ss around? Im in the atlanta area. so if you find one in my area let me know,, Thanks for the advise.

dozerII

Admiral

That's a 16 for sure and the price seems a tad high, about $400. too high, for the shape it's in. My 72 18 with a great running Mercruiser 120 was $1500.
Glen

iCam

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I agree, It sounds high for what the pics show. I bought a 17' (Not starcraft) with a running 65hp Merc for $500. Yah it needed some work, but overall in good condition (or it was til I gutted it).

warrenjets

Cadet

Yep. You guys are rite.I will need to be patient..I got my hart set on a 18' SS with i good size motor. I HATE SLOW BOATS.. Thanks for the cragis list add. I will look into it. Im sure this site has plenty of guys cruzing CL. Now let me go drool over the other guys boats. I guss first thing is to get the old MAriner of my dads running so when and if I do find a good SC I got a powerplant.