boating in the winter?

ohiou_98

Cadet
Here in Ohio we're having 55-60+ degrees of sunny weather. These days are warm enought to fish. My concern is that it still gets cold at night (below freezing). What should I do to the boat/motor after boating to prevent damage from a cold night (I have a fiberglass bassboat)? How do you completely drain the ob cooling system of water?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: boating in the winter?

Are you leaving your boat moored or will be taken out of water at the end of the day ?

Happy Boating

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Outboards are self draining. Make sure you put the motor all the way down (in operating position) when you get home, and it will drain in a few minutes. No fear of freezing...

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

ohiou, here in Wisconsin we boat fish the rivers in spring while there is still ice floatin in the water! When the walleye are biten the boats will almost be gunwale to gunwale.

86 century

Ensign

Like they say above pull it out of water put the eng down she will drain herself.

I have done this with probly 100 outboards over the last 5years with no problems.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

We used to boat into the 1st week o December on the St Lawrence with the motor down in the water. It might get a huge block of ice on the leg you just had to pour hot water over it to be sure it was thawed so you didn't tear up the impeller.
Some times the telltale might have ice in the outlet but would thaw quickly.
The construction crews that had to go out on the river to get to a job claimed that some times they would boat to a job on Friday
and snowmobile out on Monday.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

if you leave the OB in the water when it's freezing, leave the motor down.

If you have an I/O, sell it and buy and OB