Kawasaki STX 900 help please

newbie10

Recruit
Hi, we were given the loan of the STX 900 prior to deciding whether to buy it or not. It is a 1998 model, and the first few times started perfectly. We then tried to start it without it being totally full of fuel and it would not start, once realising we filled it with fuel and it started ok. The next day - no luck. It turns on - all lights go, and the starter kicks in but doesn't continue to turn over. We have replaced the spark plugs, and the battery, and have noticed that the plugs seem to have a weak spark. Can anyone help please ?

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Kawasaki STX 900 help please

Fuel tank full or 1/2 full should have no effect on starting. Many of these 2 stroke skis become harder to start over time. Kawasaki 2 strokes are notorious for hard starting, and most guys say a primer kit is mandatory for those skis. Problem often solved by adding a primer kit, which is a better option than spraying starter fluid in the engine (which is what I'd try first to see if it will run for a few seconds with starter fluid, then you know its probably a fuel flow problem.........but don't keep using starting fluid since it will eventually kill the engine). Since the original problem seemed to be related to fuel, I'd check the fuel lines, fuel filter, and fuel/water separator as a first step. Then I'd check the carbs. How long since they were cleaned/rebuilt.....may be time to do it again.

Try the above 1st and make sure its getting fuel. I suspect you are just running the batteries down with all the starting attempts. If its still turning over, but no spark, I'd check compression next.

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Kawasaki STX 900 help please

I will concur that the 2-stroke Kawasakis can be a chore to start without the priming kit. My 1100STX would have to crank for a total of 20 seconds or so with the choke pulled to get it to fire when cold, but once warmed up would fire up in less than a second. I pulled the butterflies and installed an Atlantis priming kit and it will fire within 5 seconds when cold. Much easier on the starter and battery, and didn't affect the operation of the engine at all.

You mentioned that the starter kicks in but it doesn't kick over? How old is the battery? I would be looking at electrical if the engine doesn't turn over, unless it's hydrolocked which is less likely.