opinions on 14' boat?

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer
i am going to be looking at a 14' mirrocraft aluminum deep vee duck hunting boat (don't hunt but its a good price) anyway had a few questions. it is a 1985 boat and 1985 johnson 25hp 2 stroke outboard. he said the throttle is control is a little tight but hasn't bothered him? but he said the motor runs well and everything. is there anything other than running it and testing compression i should look for? also he said he has a duck blind he would give me I'm assuming at extra cost but I'm not sure. anyone know the value of a duck blind? he wants 800 for the boat motor trailer. opinions? he has all the paperwork including manuals and most likely fresh water use
1328334108.jpg

1328334107.jpg

1328334106.jpg

1328334104.jpg

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer
Re: opinions on 14' boat?

i am going to be looking at a 14' mirrocraft aluminum deep vee duck hunting boat (don't hunt but its a good price) anyway had a few questions. it is a 1985 boat and 1985 johnson 25hp 2 stroke outboard. he said the throttle is control is a little tight but hasn't bothered him? but he said the motor runs well and everything. is there anything other than running it and testing compression i should look for? also he said he has a duck blind he would give me I'm assuming at extra cost but I'm not sure. anyone know the value of a duck blind? he wants 800 for the boat motor trailer. opinions? he has all the paperwork including manuals and most likely fresh water use
1328334108.jpg

1328334107.jpg

1328334106.jpg

1328334104.jpg

What boat? All I see is a trailer? :D

The price doesn't seem all that bad...it appears to be well taken care of.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

From what can be seen in the picures and is as described I'd pay $800.00 for it and not even look back. Come spring here in Wis that rig could bring twice that price.

cyclops2

Banned

That is brackish water around there ? Where the salt & fresh mix ? LOOK very carefully at the insides of the trailer tubing & crawl UNDER the boat . Look for salt corrision. CAREFULLY run a DARK colored, clean rag, along the center keel. Then look at the rag for salty crystals.

Hope you get a goody.

Rich

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

yes assuming its the river he fished in thats brackish down there ill have to look closely. any ideas on the value of the duck blind?

Lowe170

Seaman

'Hope you don't get any dis-information from Patriots fans... :cool:

Mi duckdown

Commander

It looks to be a homemade blind that doesn't collapse. 100 bucks maybe? Feel him out.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I have a brother in Maryland that uses an aluminum boat on a tributary of the Chesapeak for crabbin and he's never has a problem with it.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

Had the exact boat years ago and found a Merc Mark 30 to power it. Found a console and rigged it with steering wheel, remote throttle/shift and put a trolling motor on it. I hunted out it also; built a portable blind to hide it under. The little 30 pushed it at a really nice clip...had no gauges so have no idea as to speed, but adequate. The boat took reasonably rough water very well with it's semi-V construction.

On brackish water, I fished it most of my growing up years and we treated it as fresh water. Never had any kind of corrosion problems with engines or boats.

$800....if it will run, buy it.

HTH,

Mark

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

he wants 100$ for the blind firm, now i have no interest in it but think i could make a buck on it or should i just not bother?

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

I don't know about the blind but my son in law has the same boat and it's great. He runs a 9.8 merc on his and it's perfect for fishing the river up here.
That motor seems to have a shifter on the side of it. I had a 25 merc xd with the shifter on the tiller, great motor but PITA when starting it cold because you can't rev the motor up in neutral.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Pass on the blind, pretty obscure item and it is for a particular boat so you will more tha likely get stuck with it and who knows he may just throw it in if you don't buy it, as for the boat I would jump on that, Mirro make a really nice boat and that is a good price.

cyclops2

Banned

Take the boat. Leave the blind.

A cameo net on 2 poles over your boat works well.

The real straw pieces breaking off in the boat are not good for a bilge pump. Genuine artifical netting is better. You see them they do not see you. Roll it up & store it. NO NO organic netting. It gets wet & rots very fast.

Rich

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

That's what I'll do then, most likely going to pick it up next weekend

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

looks like a good rig. since the season's over I wouldn't mess with the fast grass (what he calls a duck blind) unless you hunt or have a hunter friend lined up. i bet he just gives it to you.

For $800 if it starts, I'd grab it and not bother looking it over that close.

NYGiants

Chief Petty Officer

bought her this weekend for 800$ motor and boat are actually 1980 but still cheap for everything so i can't complain. motor was definitely used in salt water at one point in its life judging by the bolts on the powerhead being corroded and other stuff.