Which version of FireFox should I try?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Before I install a new operating system I have nothing to lose to try FireFox to see if I have the same issues with it as I do with IE. Even if it turns out that it is IE causing my problems, not XP, I don't think that I can completely wipe the slate clean of IE to get a fresh load.

There are a number of versions, including some newer beta versions. I have seen FireFox offered as downloads from V5 up through 10. Beta versions are 11 and up.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Which version of FireFox should I try?

I would install the one on the main page which is 10.0.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

10.0 is the latest release and it works great. If you have the same issues I would be very surprised. It is a solid browser. As you install Firefox you will be asked if you want to transfer favorites/bookmarks from IE, just say yes. FF works with XP and is updated on a regular basis- unlike IE 7. Hope this helps.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

OK, I downloaded FireFox 10. and in the course told it to import my 'favorites' from IE. When I open the 'bookmark' header on FF I cannot find my favorites. I had quite an extensive catalogue of favorites.

FF also hijacked all of my IE icons so I cannot open it up and access my 'favorites' through IE. What's going on here? Fortunately I backed up all of my favorites before I downloaded FF.

Maybe I shouldn't have told the FF setup to make FF my default browser?

lexer440

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you tried resetting IE back to defaults, "internet options/advanced tab" - at the bottom of window is a reset button.

Also I agree with GA_Boater, FF is an excellent browser, a lot of ppl swear its better than IE.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I have not touched an IE browser since the day that FF was released, I would never touch another IE browser again, just to much FF has going for it, of course, I don't use the latest version, I use an older version that works for me and is secure with out the bloat that the newer browsers have.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I have not touched an IE browser since the day that FF was released, I would never touch another IE browser again, just to much FF has going for it, of course, I don't use the latest version, I use an older version that works for me and is secure with out the bloat that the newer browsers have.

Well MT, what version is that? ...and anyone know how to get my IE 'favorites' to where I can see them on FF10?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Boom - look at this. It is the FF help on importing favorites from IE to FF bookmarks.

Summer Fun

Banned

I backed up all of my favorites before I downloaded FF.

Just add them to your FF favorites then. :facepalm:

Go with FF10. :)

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Firefox in my opinion at least decimates IE in every way as a browser...There are some tweaks you can do to firefox if you type about:config in the url box...follow these instructions and firefox is silly fast(depending on you ISP speed obviously)...:eek:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Ok, my favs did not load initially. I figured out how to go back and import them. It reallly messed them up. I had them all in folders (in IE) and FF took them out of the folders and scrambled them all up. In addition to that, when I click 'bookmarks' I have to go to a folder that states 'imported from another browser' instead of having them show up at face value. I guess I'll have to re-bookmark them to to have them show up at first click.

Also, I HATE TABS and I cannot figure out how to keep new links from opening in one as opposed to a new browser window. I want what I have opened to line up at the bottom of my screen as independent browser pages.

I think I better reload my OS and get a fresh working copy of IE.

Did I mention that I HATE TABS?

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Dont freak out about the tabs you can click tools/options and make it do whatever you want...

Also keep in mind when you buy a new car you don't jump in and have all your radio stations programmed and your seat the way you like it and the mirrors perfect...A little effort and you won't think good things about IE ever again...:eek:

If you click bookmarks and then show all bookmarks it brings up a explorer window that you can add folders and cut and paste...All you have to do is cut all your book marks out the firefox folder and put then in the root folder and it should be what you had in IE

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Whatever you do, don't get a MAC. By the sound of it, it would drive you crazy. You would have to find the preference option labeled "Disable Tabbed Browsing", and click it. :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Whatever you do, don't get a MAC. By the sound of it, it would drive you crazy. You would have to find the preference option labeled "Disable Tabbed Browsing", and click it. :D

Yeah Roscoe, that is also why I stick with XP. Windows7 drives me nuts.

Now, on tabbed browsing, if you can find where I disable it, I'd sure be beholding to you. FF help tells you everything about tabs that you would ever want to know but nary a word on disabling it!!

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Dont freak out about the tabs you can click tools/options and make it do whatever you want...

Also keep in mind when you buy a new car you don't jump in and have all your radio stations programmed and your seat the way you like it and the mirrors perfect...A little effort and you won't think good things about IE ever again...:eek:

If you click bookmarks and then show all bookmarks it brings up a explorer window that you can add folders and cut and paste...All you have to do is cut all your book marks out the firefox folder and put then in the root folder and it should be what you had in IE

I finally got the bookmarks to display in a usable and familiar fashion. As for the new car, that's why I always buy Fords. They have a pretty consistent theme between models and years.

Still haven't been able to locate any 'disable tabbed browsing'.

Summer Fun

Banned

Go to tools then click on options and then click on tabs.

Its very simple to do if ?? you're not a compu-tard. :D

hrdwrkingacguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

go to options -> tabs -> un-check open new windows in a new tab instead...

That's not going to make it so everything you click happens in a new window...If you are going through Iboats posts and its going to go backwards and forwards in the same window...Only when the page says to open a new window for something will it come up in a new window not a tab...you can click the + next to the tab you are on to create a new one or right click the link and hit open in a new window or a new tab...:eek:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Go to tools then click on options and then click on tabs.

Its very simple to do if ?? you're not a compu-tard. :D

SF, methinks it's not so much about being a 'tard' but simply lacking tolerance for changes in things that worked so well before, ie in so many cases, change for changes sake.

hrdwrkingacguy, I saw that checkbox but did not grasp it's significance. Thanks!

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

Not changes for changes sake, those changes are driven by what the majority want! It is unfortunate that many of us old farts, don't what them to change a darn thing!

Guess what, I really know what your talking about, I was born and raised in the Vancouver and that is not BC!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Yeah Roscoe, that is also why I stick with XP. Windows7 drives me nuts.
I was of the same mindset until I got a Windows 7 at work. I actually like it better than XP now.

Now, on tabbed browsing, if you can find where I disable it, I'd sure be beholding to you.
You don't like tabbed browsing? You prefer a new window for every session?