4.3L Carb better than MPI!

impatico

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have been having a really hard time finding the 3.0L or 4.3L in MPI here in BC/Alberta so I emailed a guy in alberta asking why they don't have many MPI engine and this is what he mailed back to me:

We don't bring in the mpi because the carb boats have more torque, thus better for pulling. Area 51 tower is $1599 installed.

Take care,

Dan Koziak
Shipwreck Marine
Director of Sales
MMS
Sent from iphone

doesn't sound right to me, but I can't find any torque numbers online?!!???!?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: 4.3L Carb better than MPI!

No that is wrong mpi or tbi is superior to a carb.

Now what it takes to implement efi is another story. About 3000 for a marine approved FI system...EFI is not that much superior by any means.

Hmm there is nice alternative http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-700-21/

From there its as simple as a fuel pump array intake manifold and a tune for the engine. DIY for maybe 2000.0

E4ODnut

Seaman

Ask that dealer, or any other one for that matter, to show you the horsepower and torque curves for the engines he's talking about. I'm betting that he won't, or can't.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Both MPI and Carbs have plus's and minus's. I'm ignoring the pre 2002 EFI systems. I would gladly take the MPI downsides however over the carb upsides. I've seen hp and tq curves at least for the 4.3 on many occassions over the years or at least I have for the carb version. Top of my head it's 190 peak and 262 tq peak right? Given marine I/O's are moving to mpi exclusively and I believe Canada follows our EPA as I read here recently, your dealer will have to bone up on the real story at some point. As much as I understand the venerability of carbs on marine engines it is almost unbelievable when you think about how long it has been since a carb has been on a car. I'd say that with a properly tuned 4bbl carb on the 4.3, you could come very close to the hp numbers an MPI puts out but I haven't seen those tq numbers.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Here is a thought....EFI is just a means to deliver fuel to a engine in a very precise manner. One can control the AFR closely which means you have a lot of options as to timing and detonation. Now if you have both good AFR and timing the next and biggest component is the cam...Have all 3 working and its a very good day.