what_happens_when_you_repair_you_car_yourself_640_27-1.jpg

what_happens_when_you_repair_you_car_yourself_640_19.jpg

what_happens_when_you_repair_you_car_yourself_640_04-1.jpg

what_happens_when_you_repair_you_car_yourself_640_01.jpg

RogersJetboat454

Commander
Re: Ways iboaters might fix their cars

Now that's just scary....:eek::facepalm:
Some one should tell this guy he needs at least 2 more waist belts (the kind that holds your pants up), or 1 seat belt to make a lasting repair....

I see what looks like the top of a crutch in the left corner of the rear window. It's apparent this motorist is handicapped in more than one way... :D;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

what_happens_when_you_repair_you_car_yourself_640_38.jpg

I actually did this one time, wiper quit on the way home, lucky for me it was a long time ago, and the line went through the wing vents.
Of course it got fixed the next day.

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I think the strut repair is overkill. The three hose clamps should be more than enough for a lasting repair! The leather belt is real redneck genius, it prevents the tie wraps from being cut by the sharp edges of the metal!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Many years ago I remember the heater blower quitting in my '59 Ford Anglia in a freezing rain. I was 30 miles from home, so I used my bare hand on the windshield as a defroster. Probably the worst car I ever owned.

Smuggler's Blues

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That reminds me I need to fix the exhaust on my girlfriend's Ranger..... Now where did I put that duct tape?

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

Hey!! It looks like boat trailor tailights on the airconditioned jolopy!!! could it be an iboater? The windshield wipers would work better w the string pulled tightly accross the dashboard. You could operate it w one hand or hold it on top of the wheel at 12 oclock and simply steer back and forth as you drive to wipe the windshield:cool: and your other hand would be free to hold your beverage so you don't get too thirsty while driveing erratically in the rain.:D

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

Back in high school I had a 66 Chevelle and blew the rear end where it would still work, but the retainer that held in the drive axle sheared and the axle would come out until I stopped, jacked it up, pushed it back in and got another mile or so. As long as I didn't make left turns I was OK, but it took a while to get home like that :facepalm:

puddle jumper

Captain

My fuel pump went out on my truck back in the day. So we filled the washer bottle with gas and piped the washer line over to the carb. Just gave it a squirt ever time the engine stared to stumble. It worked and got us home.:D

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

My fuel pump went out on my truck back in the day. So we filled the washer bottle with gas and piped the washer line over to the carb. Just gave it a squirt ever time the engine stared to stumble. It worked and got us home.:D

Now how would you plumb that up for a fuel injection system?

:confused:

:D

BlkY2k

Chief Petty Officer

Now how would you plumb that up for a fuel injection system?

:confused:

:D
Rip the hose off a old bicycle pump, screw it to the schrader valve and drop it in the tank . lol hmm nope no pressure. Halfta get back to ya.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Funny and true story......... about 30+ years ago I came accross a military ambulance that was broken down while we were at a gunnery exercise in (Graffenwohr < that will stir a memory or two :D) and when I looked under the hood I was shocked to see ALL of the electrical harness repairs were done with band aids!! :eek::facepalm:

bigdee

Commander

Now that is what I call inovative! I done something like that years ago but used whiskey instead of gas and piped it in under the dash....it gave a perfect shot at the push of a button!!

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Bob, too bad you didn't get a picture, that would fit right in here! Hey, I'm learning a lot about car repair here.

A few more:

what_happens_when_you_repair_you_car_yourself_640_32.jpg

what_happens_when_you_repair_you_car_yourself_640_22.jpg

what_happens_when_you_repair_you_car_yourself_640_07.jpg

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't forget the good ol JB weld

Doral270MC

Cadet

Funny and true story......... about 30+ years ago I came accross a military ambulance that was broken down while we were at a gunnery exercise in (Graffenwohr < that will stir a memory or two :D) and when I looked under the hood I was shocked to see ALL of the electrical harness repairs were done with band aids!! :eek::facepalm:

Graffenwohr???:eek: I don't know which was worse. Graffenwohr or Hohenfels.

robert graham

Admiral

Man, what great Mr.fixit/DIY ideas!...and all these years I've been paying these mechanics at the dealership big bucks$$$ to repair my cars! This type of eye-opening, inspired information is gonna put a lot of mechanics right out of business!:p